Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Joe Wright early in the year, first week of June, it was 90 degrees in Nebraska the day I left, but the lake had ice on it all the way down the dam, crazy.

Anyway, a guy there told me it was too early for Grayling, I was bummed. My goal was to catch one of my fly rod, but had no luck. Finally caught one on an inline spinner. But that was it.

I'd like to make a return trip, but I'm wondering what a good time of year is for them? I hear they are thick as can be if you hit it right.

Attached is the one I caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'll have to dig through my pics to find the exact date. The entire dam was thick ice. I want to go back again, but it's a super long drive so I want to hit it right next time.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah it can vary year to year, and June is typically a little early. At Joe Wright the ice gets extremely thick. It is the only place I have ice fished in Colorado where I had to use the entire length of my augur to break through the ice. The first week of August is usually pretty good up there. July can be great as well, but you have to be careful where you fish until July 31rst because they don't allow fishing in the creek until the spawn take operations are over. The thing that is great about coming up there for an out of stater is that there are several other great places to fish nearby if the Grayling are not cooperating.

I grew up near the mouth of the Poudre Canyon so feel free to send me a PM if you want some hints of where else you may want to try up there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
BTW it can also be a fun ice trip, but you have to hit it early. Both because the ice gets crazy thick, and because the Grayling bite seems to die off later in the season. Here is a pic of a double hookup from Dec 16th of last year. Ice was 8" thick at that point. It also was unusually warm in November.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got there, I read on the signs that the lake was closed upstream from the hwy during certain dates or something like that. I thought it was saying the entire reservoir was closed during those dates, and I drove there for nothing. So I walked around for a while debating if I could fish it or not, thankfully a local was there and explained it better for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts