Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fighting this feeling to go up there. I always here the weather is horrible, the ice is three feet thick, wind never stops blowing, ect.....

But there are grayling in there. And sadly enough I have never caught one. It sounds like that would not be difficult up there if you can withstand the conditions. There are also my new favorite sport fish the lake trout.

So if I were to attempt to fish JW where would I start. I can't find a lake map and I don't have electronics. Does any one know where a good spot on the lake is to try for the lakers? (proper depth and all) Also any general grayling tips would be apreciated.

I know I ask alot of "tell me where to fish questions" but alot of this stillwater, spinfishing stuff is new to me still.

Thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't know where to fish that lake but I just went snowshoeing there last thursday and they wind was not bad at all. I hiked up to zimmerman lake right about JW. I bet that ice is thick though and the snow was at least three feet deep.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Can't tell you where to start, but remember that JW is artificials and flies only.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, it can be done.  I have heard that you can catch the grayling on weighted flies (nymph patterns), and also on the smallest (1/12th oz.) size kastmaster. 

The lake trout up there are all supposedly neutered, so they won't catch on in the long run.  I have heard that some have been taken on things like rapala jigs, bucktails and bucktail airplane jigs that are not baited/scented.

If you plan to go, take your snowshoes, and a small shovel wouldn't hurt, either (to clear snow). 

If you simply must catch a grayling, you can also catch them very easily during the month of June, and sometimes earlier, with small dry flies and nymphs.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Alright, the best place to fish for grayling in Joe Wright is anywhere that you can easily access the lake. Sorry for the lack of specifics, but you can catch these little buggers anywhere you can drill a hole. This lake has such an abundence of these fish that I believe you can catch 40 or fifty fish easily in one day. You can use flies, jigs, spoons, or whatever. It is easy there and you'll be able to catch fish. I've fished anywhere from 77 fow to 12 fow and hammered them. Just keep your offering 6-12 feet under the ice lid. Park in the parking area and walk down the hwy. approximately 50 yards to the damnand enter the lake here. It is the least steepest point to enter the lake. Once you hit ice start drilling and fishing, it is that easy. Also you might want to bring snowshoes because snow will probally be waist deep.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
sometimes that is a catch 22. if you are fishing in a shelter we usually just put it on top of the snow. because when you drill a hole with deep snow on the lake, chances are you are gonna be standing in a slush puddle in no time at all. if you shovel down to the ice you will be standing in a water puddle. this only applies if there is 3 or 4 inches of snow on the lake. we fish the delaneys a lot and the north lake gets horrible slush on it. i don't know if it gets low spots or if it is from the weight of the snow on it, the south and the east delaney lakes right now don't do that but north does, and the south lake has done it before when there was a lot of snow on it..i can't really explain why. i actually think that this is this lakes way of making me work for them big uns in there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts