Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI-a little birdie told me that the CDW put some brood lakers in recently.  :-X

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
It was in the papers last fall.DOW put in 50,(10-17 lb brooders) that came from a federal hatchery in Idaho. My attempts at catching them have been unsuccessful.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SF
I must've missed that one. What paper was it in? My source told it like it just happened and like it was on the QT. ???

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stocking that Slayerfish is referring to happened in 2004 and received a couple little write-ups in the Post and elsewhere. If I remember right, 50 brooders went into Joe Wright and another 150 were split between 2 other lakes. I know Grand lake got some, but I don't remember the third lake. I haven't heard of any of them being caught.

Was there another recent stocking???

·
Registered
267 Posts
was this stocking an effort to control the grayling population? i heard the grayling had gotten out of control there, but when i fished there for them, not a one!

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
Slayer...

I am surprised with your gunghoness (is that a word?) towards ice fishing...the elevation of Cameron Pass...the coldness of the Never Summers...that Joe Wright isnt one of the your early places for ice fishing...at least before the ice gets a mile thick...or the snow too deep to make it to the lake...maybe you do make it one of your early spots...figured those brooder macks would make it high on your list...I only ice fish because it becomes the only game in town...that and I have my sights set on a twenty pound Pueblo Wiper...

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
The prob with Joe Wright is its a long way from Strasburg.Its a much easier drive to 11-mile for me.The weather up at JW [email protected] wind is always howling,makes 11-mile seem calm by comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Late July and early August is the best time I have observed for Grayling on Joe Wright, especially around 5 P.M. and later when the winds calm down. Get out on the water in a belly boat or a pontoon and you can even do well with a fly rod and some small dry flies.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dow even had a press release on the stocking of these lakers, they came from the federal hatchery at Saratoga Wyo. It was rather interesting to see them stocking Lakers in Colorado water, as a matter of fact that press release disappeared off the DOW web a couple days latter, I think some one got they pee pee spanked for allowing the stocking to happen. They were some real nice looking fish and should be ripe for the catching!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Biologists caught several of the lakers in a survey (gill nets), and some anglers caught a few more, so we know for sure there are fewer than 50, now.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also read that they were sterile.They stocked them to control they grayling and dont have to worry about them taking over.

lyn

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
I also read that they were sterile.They stocked them to control they grayling and dont have to worry about them taking over.
Do trout go through menopause?...YikeZ!!...Cranky trout with hot flashes!...OK that one will get me killed!...

·
Registered
82 Posts
First time on the forum and thanks to all for the great information.  How easy is it to ice fish JW? I have snowmobiled into Chambers without much problem.  Where is the best access?

Grizz

·
Registered
935 Posts
Joe Wright is different from Chambers, although closeby. Wind is much worse, snow is deeper, and often more snow on the ice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts