Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy, Joe, has had a case of the 11 Mile skunk lately. Anyone who has ever fished there understands that. The skunk was partly his fault as he didn’t wear the lucky sweater that his wife knitted the last couple of times. Well he wore the sweater yesterday and got over the skunk in a big way yesterday with his first pike ever

We began at Sucker Cove and went as far as we could along the pressure ridge before settling in. There weren't a lot of fish sighted but the ones we saw were quality. I had my Aqua Vu going all day and we never saw a single stocker trout! The morning was perfectly quiet until the 11AM wind kicked up, not too bad but it did make its appearance.

Joe was taking a walk and he returned to his hut to see that his slip bobber was down the hole and gone. He called me and asked me what he should do. I went over and saw that line was still being taken out from his reel (open bail) so I told him to feed more line and set the drag properly. When the line stopped paying out he closed the bail and waited to make a hard hookset once the line moved again and went tight. Fish on!
I could tell from the bend in his rod and the way the line was paying out against his drag that he had a good one. She came to the hole three times over five minutes before I was able to gaff her.

The numbers: 33 3/4" and 13 pounds.

I caught a 25" pike and then we decided to try west if we could get there. The bad news was that the pressure ridge went right along the southern shore of Cross Creek, right where I wanted to fish for trout. We decided to prospect along the southern shore instead and wound up at Witchers for the afternoon.

We got into an area that I hadn’t ever fished before and we saw a ton of fish, both trout and pike. We each lost one more pike. The funny thing about the pike I lost was that I watched it swim in, hit my waterdog and keep swimming. It never stopped to adjust the waterdog in its mouth but just kept swimming for over a minute, taking line pretty quickly. When I went to set the hook I momentarily felt the weight but just retrieved the waterdog. Had to have gone 50 yards in that time – very unusual. Never had to wait that long for one to pause and readjust the bait. Rookie mistake. The waterdog was beat up but still able to swim and perform. There were no more pike takers the rest of the afternoon.

Joe did get a nice 19” rainbow on a slugbug with a mealie.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Captain! Im just persistent and bullheaded, kind of like a pike.

Teacher - you gotta fish those South Park impoundments and get out of town. ;)

Catchem - welcome to the board. Only two posts to pick a fight. Congratulations, that's faster than most. ::) I direct your attention to the sticky note at the top of the reports page regarding catch and release. And, for clarity, the report states that it was my friends pike, not mine. I do acknowledge your concern and look forward to your contributions to this great and valuable website.

·
Registered
386 Posts
To people who are avid trout fishermen, a pike full of eggs in the pan is worth two without eggs in the wild. At least two.

The regulations wouldn't be what they are if the DOW was trying to increase the pike population in 11 Mile, or Spinney for that matter.

Also, although I don't target pike, I have found them better in the pan than trout.

I know you won't agree, but that's why they have both vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Stay within the law, fish catch and release, or catch and eat, whatever you like.
.......and don't litter no matter who you are and what you fish for.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
_colorado said:
Catchem - welcome to the board. Only two posts to pick a fight. Congratulations, that's faster than most. ::)
I think the two posts and the sign up were just for the one purpose...

Anyhoo, that's a great way to beat the skunk. The smile on your friend's face says it all.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
If I get a pike, his waterwolfness is going in the pan. To small I'll put him back, all bones. To big I'll put him back, taste's bad. Just right 20-30 inches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts