Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to John Martin to see if the bite would be as good at the train trestle as it was 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately for us, it wasn't. Fished the trestle and the spillway, and did OK, but it was far from great. Not that I'm complaining. Caught 4 species, including a carp that hit a plastic grub under a bobber, which was funny. Set a personal crappie record, which was cool.

Great weather right now. Warm, but not hot. The wind cooperated this weekend. Got a chance to paddle the kayak around some yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't catch any fish from it. Still fun to get to use it.

Checked out all of the fire damage around the lake. That was pretty crazy looking. Especially the guys house that was right across the street from the fire. Bet he was crapping his pants that day.

Overall, a great trip. I'm always happy to get out of town. I probably won't get another chance for a month or so.

·
Registered
832 Posts
We were there too, caught all those fish that you took pictures of but not in great numbers. I think the water is still a little too cold right now. That is a really nice crappie (14 inches?) We caught 6 in the 12 inches (they made a great lunch). We chat with the king brothers there for a while Saturday evening and they mentioned that you were there too. They did real well overthere but whats new. Did you kayak from the visitor center all the way to the tressel? it would be a long trip if you did. See you around this summer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lovetofish said:
We were there too, caught all those fish that you took pictures of but not in great numbers. I think the water is still a little too cold right now. That is a really nice crappie (14 inches?) We caught 6 in the 12 inches (they made a great lunch). We chat with the king brothers there for a while Saturday evening and they mentioned that you were there too. They did real well overthere but whats new. Did you kayak from the visitor center all the way to the tressel? it would be a long trip if you did. See you around this summer.
I did measure the crappie, and it was about 13". Yeah, I ran into Kokaneeking up on the dam, and he casually mentioned that he had "only" caught a few nice wipers and a bunch of other fish. Haha, despite all of the prodding I do for info, I still can't get anywhere near their success down there. I'm putting in plenty of time on that body of water though, so maybe someday.

And no, I just drove the kayak down to the trestle and put in there and paddle around that small area back behind the tracks and up the creek. That would be a nice paddle from the visitor center to over there, but you'd be hating life if the wind picked up while you were about in the middle of the lake.

Were you in the group that was fishing down on the south side of the river Saturday evening? We were at that small spillway at the time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
catfishking said:
nice job i didnt see you but my brother mentioned he talked to you
Yeah, I was driving across the dam and saw some guy walking down the middle of the road like Mad Max. Haha, sounds like you guys did good down there. When do you plan to go back? You drive down from Thornton?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts