Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started fishing the lake at about 8 am, had no luck not even a nibble...went down to the spillway caught 3 saugeye, one was about 19 inches, the other 2 were only about 12 inches. Caught 6 Drum as well....Was using white mister twisters tipped with a crawler.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Wangler...do you fish John Martin much?

I was thinking of coming out that way this weekend...but it seems like the crappie bite is a few weeks off...thoughts?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I thought i read somewhere that about 90% of the fish got dry gulched last year? The article said they would have to start a massive restocking effort if they get enough water?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neal, I know the head ranger there, and have not heard this at all. She's really straightforward, and will answer any quesitons you have either by email or phone.

Here is her info:

Tandy Parrish, Senior Ranger
John Martin Reservoir State Park
30703 Rd. 24 Hasty, CO 81044
(719) 829-1801 ext.22
[email protected]
www.parks.state.co.us

GOOD LUCK, and please post any pertinent informatoin for the group!

:)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neal/CO said:
I thought i read somewhere that about 90% of the fish got dry gulched last year? The article said they would have to start a massive restocking effort if they get enough water?

Neal-

I read the same thing you did, though I don't remember where. I do remember it said that the fisheries people believed that most of the wipers and saugeye had been lost and that, perhaps, the crappie population might not have been hit quite as hard.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Thanks Don. I think I read it on an article in the post? They were reviewing what to expect from each lake in that region with a bioligist in the area.

It only makes sense that if a resevoir gets down to 10% of normal pool, most of the fish would go thru the gates ???

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont fish there much...just heard it was pretty good last year...the spill way has been producing saugeye, thats about it.....talked to a ranger, he said what everyone has been saying..all the fish went down stream..not only does Kansas take all the water from there...they took the fish to....

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Does anybody fish that small lake below the dam. Its supposed to have pretty much all the species that are in John Martin. I know they have a real nice campground there. Ed

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ed Marcol said:
Does anybody fish that small lake below the dam.  Its supposed to have pretty much all the species that are in John Martin.  I know they have a real nice campground there. Ed
I know, huh... I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone saying, "I drove out 4 hours to Lake Hasty and caught my limit of every critter available, yeeeeeeh haawwwwe!! And them suckers on the big ocean lookin lake didn't even catch a mosquiter!"

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
its full of stocker trout for the kids and old people that stay there

there use to be some monster wiper in there
there might be still a few in there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts