Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished John Martin from about 10:00 - 17:00. The wind blew (and that is an understatement) most of the day. Started out with two foot waves but the east boat launch was protected - wind was out of the south west. Made our way over to the trestle bridge and fished there in the wind break. Wind died down a bit headed for the south east corner of the dam. Wind picked up again - directly out of the south. Decided to call it day. Waves were 3 feet and crashing over the boat launch dock.

Ended up with 20 white bass - all were very chunky. Wasn't able to target anything along the dam due to wash tub affect being caused by waves/rocks.

Saw some guys out there in a low profile boat - hope they got off the lake before the afternoon blow started. Thank goodness for my Lund's deep V hull. Spent a lot of time motoring and trying to keep the spray off the wife and kid.

Oh - decided to pull up to one of the islands and just about jumped out of the boat onto a rattle snake. Careful out there.

The bite is on at JM.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
At least you caught some fish!! Sucks battling the wind though!! A couple years ago I drove all the way out there to find out the impeller on my motor was out :( had to stay relatively close to the ramp since all I had was my TM!! We managed a couple white bass and a couple carp lol. Was no way I was going to drive all that way and not get to fish!!

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, the wind out there is nothing to mess with. I was out there twice last week and did well on the wipers and white bass. I have yet to run into a rattler while at John Martin and would not want to. Keep your eyes open as I tell everyone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, keep an eye out for those rattle snakes, nothing you want to be around if you can help it. Congrats on your success, that wind is always something that can be a problem especially for boaters.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Cute lil cinnamon rolls! Prowers county is a big ol cinnabon store.....almost stepped on one last time I fished there.
Gonna try to make a Sunday trip out there in a week or 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts