Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't posted in forever. Haven't been fishing much.

I was down at John Martin last week though and thought I'd check it out while I was there. I caught around 30 white bass in under 2 hours of fishing. Took 3 home to eat.

It was a great day, lake is the most full it's been since 2000. No one was out. It was a Wednesday and there were a handful of people on the lake the entire day.

I bought 2 dozen minnows on the way down, because that's what I've used at the spillway with success. But the spillway was totally blown out and unfishable, and the lake was so full that there were trees everywhere in the water. I decided to just toss some silver lures off the boat ramps for a while. I figured I'd keep out of snags at the boat ramps.

I was catching fish almost every cast, one time going 5 fish per 5 casts. So I just dumped the minnows out and stuck with that.

Meant to post this the other day but forgot. I'd like to head back down soon, I love that place so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I read on the JM website -fishing is not allowed from the boat docks. Just sayin-

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Schweeeet... Love that place. It's gonna be so killer with all this water. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I read on the JM website -fishing is not allowed from the boat docks. Just sayin-
What he beat u to your spot? wow pot kettle!!!!...lolololol

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen this and am just mindful about it. I pack up my stuff well before I'm in anyones way. I ran into 2 boaters that day, one coming out of the water who I offered to help, and another putting in. I just packed up and took off when they showed up.

If it were a weekend I'd probably have caught more **** about it.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Hell yeah I've fished boat docks quite a bit. They usually don't mess with unless it's busy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice I haven't been out there since June looks like water level is really high
The highest it's been since 2000 is what I've been told.

You can see the high water mark on the dam is barely above what it is now. The south side is totally flooded, can't even get anywhere over there on shore.

The dirt road that connects Las Animas to Hasty was actually flooded and undriveable. I was also told that they're letting water out of the lake to get that road above water, so no water is really coming in right now. The river in Las Animas is just mud, or was last week. The river below JM dam is flowing with 4 gates open. Tons of water coming out. Hopefully they don't give it all away and keep it somewhat full.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did any of the earlier surplus water get sent over to the Nee lakes? Would be sweet to see fishable water in them.

Back in the day.....:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts