Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was an email sent to me from the head ranger at J.Martin.
Thought sharing might help!
EyeGuy

Dear David,
Thank you for your interest in John Martin Reservoir. I am happy to let you know that our lake is filling up. We currently have over 67,800 acre feet of water and have risen over 19 vertical feet this winter so far. Both boat ramps are open and have floating docks on the water.

Because of the influx of cold water, our crappie fishing has not began yet. The crappie in our area usually start to bite at approximately 58 degrees. This morning our water temperature was 48. I have seen a few walleye, but not many. Visitors have had very good luck fishing from shore in the stilling basin below the dam for Saugeye. The small lake below the dam has also been stocked twice with trout this season. Neither of these area's are boatable, however.

I hope this information helps. If I can answer any further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Tandy Parrish, Senior Ranger
John Martin Reservoir State Park
30703 Rd. 24 Hasty, CO 81044
(719) 829-1801 ext.22
[email protected]
www.parks.state.co.us

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Hey thanks eye guy...I have been watching the water temp at John Martin for some time now on their website...I have been wanting to get out there for crappies...I have caught them to 17 inches out there...a long time ago when I was too stupid to realize it might be a state record...I just figured the state record had to be up near 5 pounds...this one was in the 3 neighborhood...but I had never known the magical bite temp out there of 58...wonder if it can go up 10 degrees in two weeks?...probably not...but thanks...

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it could go up that far...IF they aren't expereinceing what we in Denver are, right now.

Depends more upon night time lows than anything else...I mean obviously it HAS to be warmer in the daytime to warm the waters...but if it doens't drop at night-that is when I see the water temps rise rapidly!

Good luck! Iposted this hoping you'd see it, asI saw your ? on J Martin earlier!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yeah, they've got Sixty Seven THOUSAND acre feet of water in John Martin right now.

FULL CAPACITY? = Three Hundred Ten THOUSAND acre feet. I can't even imagine what that much water looks like. ;D

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's great that it's filling now but are they gonna draw it back down this summer for irrigation? ??? JM and Bonny used to be two of my favorite res to fish when I have the chance.

Thanks for the note EyeGuy.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
John Martin is actually the biggest lake in CO-when its full. Bigger even then Blue Mesa. Thing is, its almost never full. ::) Ed

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are all correct...this lake IS HUGE, and it is NEVER full!(LEast it sure seems that way!)

Fact IS, thoguh...if we can hit it when the temps are right, it's a great mixed bag of warm water species, adn I find that fun because if one isn't biting, I cna almost always go get something else!

Pueblo is kind of like that, but I have found there usually to be a better chance of locating crappie, walleye/saugeye, or wipers on the same day at JMartin...there seem to be lots of each species...(must admit that Ididn't make it there last year!)

I'd like to know more about what the rest of you have expereinced there recently...! ;)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
EyeGuy-I've experienced WIND!! Honestly, that has to be one of the windiest places in CO. I stopped going there because I would trailer my boat 3 hrs. from CS down there, fish for a couple of hours, then have to get off the lake because of the wind. Theres nowhere to "hide" out there and get out of the wind-only rule creek for coves and thats the other side of the lake from the ramps so if you get caught out there, it could be a long day!!

I remember one day it was sooooo windy I rode the boat on top of a wave onto my trailer. A perfect landing. I jumped out, winched it up and was darn glad to be in the truck pulling up the ramp. :eek: Ed

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ed, THAT brought back some memories of Nee Nosha Nee Grande....!!!

Talk about driving for three ours or so...getting the boat in for one or two, then racing death to get off the lake before the hurricane sucked us under!

But man...the wipers go off and it's not uncommon to land 20-30 in a day! Hard to weigh, but the memories of the awesome days, sure keep enticing me back down there....

***TIP**** Lipless crankbaits!!!!!! Especially the green colors....!!!!! ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts