Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was down at John Martin all weekend to try and do some kayaking and fishing. Got a late start Saturday and the wind had already picked up enough to keep me from kayaking. Fished the spillway, the south side, the boat ramps. Didn't do too great anywhere.

Eventually after driving all around the lake though, I did find a pretty sweet spot. I was landing good size white bass almost every cast. Every one of them would be a keeper if I were taking any fish home (I didn't).

The one pictured I think was the fattest. After seeing how good the fishing was, my buddy wanted to fish the spot. We went to get him a license and some gear and were going to come back Sunday morning and fish down there all day.

Sunday the wind was crazy. The lake looked like the ocean. No way you could put any kind of boat in there, never mind a little plastic boat. We went out to to the spot from the day before but you couldn't even cast with the wind. Could barely stand. It sucked.

So, we fished the spillway for a bit where the was much less wind, and drove back to Denver. Did catch a few small catfish and a drum down there.

I really hope I can get back down there soon.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Sorry about the small pics. My friend had the resolution on his phone camera turned way down.

[/URL]
A drum I caught in the spillway. It was actually pretty cool looking.

[URL=http://img219.imageshack.us/i/x040211164400.jpg/][IMG][/URL]
The fattest white bass I caught.

[URL=http://img545.imageshack.us/i/spillway.jpg/][IMG][/URL]
The only white bass I caught in the spillway. Like the rod? $7 Eagle Claw M Action Ice Rod. Fun to fish with. Has a Bass Pro TinyLite reel on it, with 15LB PowerPro.

[URL=http://img819.imageshack.us/i/wavesv.jpg/][img]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/434/wavesv.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice. The waves were huge.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I was also there this weekend.. Was def. VERY windy!! You guys def. did better than we did.. we werent able to get into any white bass. But we were stuck on the shore with no boat.

I actually think I saw you pull up to the spillway on Sunday when i was getting ready to leave.. I was sitting behind the Highlander. You had a Kayak on the roof of your SUV?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Captain America said:
That's awesome! I've never even seen a white bass!
I had never caught one til I started fishing John Martin last year. And I sure have never seen a freshwater drum in the metro area. I don't know if they're even up here anywhere?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RVinson said:
I was also there this weekend.. Was def. VERY windy!! You guys def. did better than we did.. we werent able to get into any white bass. But we were stuck on the shore with no boat.

I actually think I saw you pull up to the spillway on Sunday when i was getting ready to leave.. I was sitting behind the Highlander. You had a Kayak on the roof of your SUV?
Yep. That was us. I was happy to see everyone clearing out right when I pulled up. :)

Looked like your friend did pretty good? Did he have a few crappie on a stringer?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
denvermike said:
RVinson said:

Yep. That was us. I was happy to see everyone clearing out right when I pulled up. :)

Looked like your friend did pretty good? Did he have a few crappie on a stringer?
That was FistFullaFish.. he kept a couple small eyes and a descent Crappie. He def. caught WAY more than i did.. but nothing big. My biggest eye went a whole 13" LMAO

Even with the wind and not so great fishing it was still a really fun trip!! I would def. be scared to go out on that lake on Sunday no matter what boat!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RVinson said:
denvermike said:
RVinson said:

That was FistFullaFish.. he kept a couple small eyes and a descent Crappie. He def. caught WAY more than i did.. but nothing big. My biggest eye went a whole 13" LMAO

Even with the wind and not so great fishing it was still a really fun trip!! I would def. be scared to go out on that lake on Sunday no matter what boat!!
Yeah, I always have a great time down there even if the fishing isn't always great.

Do you go down there very often?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
denvermike said:
RVinson said:
denvermike said:
RVinson said:

Yeah, I always have a great time down there even if the fishing isn't always great.

Do you go down there very often?
No I wish!! i want to go all the time but the 4hr drive is kinda killer LOL.

I go about twice a year typically. Def. gunna make another trip down there this spring/summer to take the family!! :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nice report DenverMike. In my experience with JM and Big Mac, when you have some wind blowing toward the shore, the white bass and wipers were very active. You might have some trouble casting out against the wind but for some reason, they were there and willing to bite.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
waterwolves said:
That wind turns them on sometimes......

It looks like it is pretty low. I wonder how low?
The river was running about 1 CFS when I was there. It has been between .5-1 all winter.

Looks like Monday 04/04 they opened it up a little finally and it's at 150 CFS. That should make things more interesting at the spillway.

As for the lake itself, it's at a decent level. There is water under the train trestle, if you're familiar with where that is.

The wind was way too crazy to fish in Sunday. You could get hit with a flying cow... or Buick.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yeah when I saw you guys walking in, I was like wtf is this crazy lookin guy doing with an ice rod. Oh yeah, catching white bass which I was not able to do. Good job man, shame they started dumping the spillway the day after we left :mad:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
denvermike said:
Was down at John Martin all weekend to try and do some kayaking and fishing. Got a late start Saturday and the wind had already picked up enough to keep me from kayaking. Fished the spillway, the south side, the boat ramps. Didn't do too great anywhere.

Eventually after driving all around the lake though, I did find a pretty sweet spot. I was landing good size white bass almost every cast. Every one of them would be a keeper if I were taking any fish home (I didn't).

The one pictured I think was the fattest. After seeing how good the fishing was, my buddy wanted to fish the spot. We went to get him a license and some gear and were going to come back Sunday morning and fish down there all day.

Sunday the wind was crazy. The lake looked like the ocean. No way you could put any kind of boat in there, never mind a little plastic boat. We went out to to the spot from the day before but you couldn't even cast with the wind. Could barely stand. It sucked.

So, we fished the spillway for a bit where the was much less wind, and drove back to Denver. Did catch a few small catfish and a drum down there.

I really hope I can get back down there soon.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Sorry about the small pics. My friend had the resolution on his phone camera turned way down.

[/URL]
A drum I caught in the spillway. It was actually pretty cool looking.

[URL=http://img219.imageshack.us/i/x040211164400.jpg/][IMG][/URL]
The fattest white bass I caught.

[URL=http://img545.imageshack.us/i/spillway.jpg/][IMG][/URL]
The only white bass I caught in the spillway. Like the rod? $7 Eagle Claw M Action Ice Rod. Fun to fish with. Has a Bass Pro TinyLite reel on it, with 15LB PowerPro.

[URL=http://img819.imageshack.us/i/wavesv.jpg/][img]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/434/wavesv.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice. The waves were huge.
Mike,
I believe I had ice fished with ou at St Vrain this past winter. I was ther with my two daughters. My parents live about 10 mls from John Martin.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike,
I believe I had ice fished with ou at St Vrain this past winter. I was ther with my two daughters. My parents live about 10 mls from John Martin.
Well, the next time I head down that way I will post something on here or send you an IM. Maybe you'd want to head down?

I go down at least once a month.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fistfullafish said:
Yeah when I saw you guys walking in, I was like wtf is this crazy lookin guy doing with an ice rod. Oh yeah, catching white bass which I was not able to do. Good job man, shame they started dumping the spillway the day after we left :mad:
Haha, I hope it was only the ice rod that gave the crazy impression. I got a hair cut since then... ;D

Yeah, I wish I could take some time off work. If I had a week I could take, I would do it now, and spend it there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts