Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning on hitting JM this weekend. Anyone hear of anything happening down that way recently. We're mostly going for crappies, but will be testing the wipers, saugeyes, and walleyes also. Is there any place to get minnows close by, in case we end up resorting to live bait.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
there is a place in lamar selling live bait but i have not heard of anything biting
a few in the spill way but not alot of fish

should just drive a little farther go to queens
everything is biting crappie wiper walleyes and catfish

·
Registered
15 Posts
The last gas station on the left heading out of Las Animas or the tackle shack south of Hasty. Those 2 places always had minnows, but that was before the drought. Might try logging onto state parks and calling the J Martin office they would know for sure. Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Fishhingkats was right-not much going on at JM. All we caught were 1-drum, 1-walleye, & 1-wiper and none of them any great size. I took his advice and headed for Queens. Nothing much going on there either. Checked in at Nee Gronde and Queens lakes. Almost no fish being caught. Given the difficulty launching a boat, we decided not to bother. Both ramps are at such a slight incline that you'd have to back your tow vehicle up to the doors in the water before the boat would float. It would be worth doing if the fish were biting, but not when they have lock jaw.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
yea the fish turned off again out there at queens
its been raining out there almost every night
and it only been raining out at the lakes no where else
i hope it keeps the fish from dieing any time soon
but its suppose to get hot here this week so the fish should turn back on
i want to go out there today and see if any one is out there with netts trying to catch fish
lot of water out there if your going to use a net

1 - 5 of 5 Posts