Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I haven't seen the lake this high In years. Most of my spots were unfishable. Lots and lots of submerged and flooded trees.

It's about 15 feet from the gates. Here's to hoping it fills up completely and holds water. This could be the beginning of something great.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Should of taken a toon with ya! Glad to see some water in there, we'll see how long it'll last!!!

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Get any outdoor or indoor fish?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
How was the clarity?

4,000 acre feet is nothing really.... It was at around 47,000 af before the rain two or so weeks ago. At 79,000 af now and will be rising fast again.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
4,000 acre feet is nothing really....
Yeah, it's not a lot of water...but it's still four times the previous minimum pool. It can be the difference between losing the majority of fish in low water years and allowing them to hold over...It also allows the CPW to make stocking decisions knowing they'll always have a minimum pool of 4000 acre feet...rather than 1000. If they know they'll have enough water for fish survival even during the dry years..They're more apt to keep stocking wiper, crappie, and saugeyes in the reservoir...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I was told that Kansas did not renew it's water rights to the Arkansas drainage because of cost and less need for it? That would make a 15 -20% difference for John Martin in the future?

I was down at Trinidad this weekend and I have never seen so much water in the creeks, culverts, etc. Everything is really green right now!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I was told that Kansas did not renew it's water rights to the Arkansas drainage because of cost and less need for it? That would make a 15 -20% difference for John Martin in the future?

I was down at Trinidad this weekend and I have never seen so much water in the creeks, culverts, etc. Everything is really green right now!
Yeah, going to be kinda busy the next couple of weeks so Yvette said you ought to go fishing a few times this week..Yeah...right..frickin weather.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How was the clarity?

4,000 acre feet is nothing really.... It was at around 47,000 af before the rain two or so weeks ago. At 79,000 af now and will be rising fast again.
It was stained but not too bad.

Zman, I fished the rocks and almost got 2 rattlesnake bites, 3 saugeyes, a sad swallow that was swimming in the water unintentionally...and a wiper in the spillway.

I should have brought my toon but that wind kicked up

·
Registered
127 Posts
The reason the DOW started putting saugeyes in there was that the fish go up stream in high water years rather than down stream. This is great for the lake to have this much water. It might suck for now but in the future it will be wonderful. Too bad they can not divert water to Nee Gronda! How good would that be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts