Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does John Martin have open water and is it open to launch and for camping?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
It's likely wide open, ramps are definitely closed

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What would it cost to put a guy down there to inspect boats for 8-10 hours a day.

I just don't get it anymore-you have a lake that has open water all winter long.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
What would it cost to put a guy down there to inspect boats for 8-10 hours a day.

I just don't get it anymore-you have a lake that has open water all winter long.
I don't understand why the existing staff can't do the inspections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I could be wrong but I think JM is closed to boating during this season due to the waterfowl conservation. Thousands of snow geese and other waterfowl inhabits JM this time of the year.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I could be wrong but I think JM is closed to boating during this season due to the waterfowl conservation. Thousands of snow geese and other waterfowl inhabits JM this time of the year.
It's actually more than waterfowl. The more critical wildlife are the Least Tern and Piping Plover. They rely on the habitat on the south shore for breeding and nesting, if I remember correctly...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Agreed. How does someone in a boat out on the lake have any impact on shoreline nesting. Seems like shore anglers (which they allow) pose a much bigger threat.

Reason why it matters to me-white bass bite very well all winter long and thats what I would target.

I'm done complaining.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Agreed. How does someone in a boat out on the lake have any impact on shoreline nesting. Seems like shore anglers (which they allow) pose a much bigger threat.

Reason why it matters to me-white bass bite very well all winter long and thats what I would target.

I'm done complaining.
I do not believe it is only closed for shoreline nesting. I would also think open water gives them a flyway stop. The golden triangle is loaded 10's and 10's of thousands of birds every night. I could see those birds making their net stop south on JM

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
The only thing closed is the park, for waterfowl resting, the portion of the lake that isn't part of the park is open, and boatable for hand launch. So if you want to fish shallow west end part of the lake, it's open. I would recommend 4x4 and have a good spare.

·
Registered
444 Posts
interesting. I thought CDoW released a thing last year about the USACE was going to allow waterfowl hunting on JM?

From the small game brochure

▶ JOHN MARTIN RESERVOIR SWA, BENT CO.
1. Open only to retrieve downed waterfowl from
Nov. 1 through last day of waterfowl season
as posted on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
property leased by CPW, to provide for resting waterfowl, depending on water levels,
weather and presence of birds

I know some folks were able to hunt it last year, I have not gone down there at all this year to look

·
Registered
444 Posts
The only thing closed is the park, for waterfowl resting, the portion of the lake that isn't part of the park is open, and boatable for hand launch. So if you want to fish shallow west end part of the lake, it's open. I would recommend 4x4 and have a good spare.

well this answers my own post above this one, thanks.

Anyone have any ice updates for out there? might take the drive and look for some snow geese

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
well this answers my own post above this one, thanks.

Anyone have any ice updates for out there? might take the drive and look for some snow geese
I kinda wanna watch the weather and see if I can catch it just right, I'm seeing 10+ pound wipes showing up in states east of us on topwater in the dead of winter......if there was a lake in CO that would give up open water, top water wipes in winter, it'd be JM.....

·
Registered
95 Posts

I'm done complaining.

You don't need winter months to catch them. The white bass are plentiful and thick. can feel them hitting a bare crappie jig while its sinking. I was there last summer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts