Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a project boat and It has been sitting for about 7 years. It has 1986 twin 90 HP Johnson outboards on it. The motors have very low hours and they both have good compression, but I still need to rebuild the carbs. I have heard about problems with the VRO oil systems in these motors. I have read some articles that say it is best to disconnect the oil system and mix the oil and fuel. Does anyone have experience with this or thoughts on it??

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
I disconnected my vro on my 200 and now just mix the fuel. Follow the oil tube up and wires up and disconnect. Mix the oil at the pump.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I had them remove the oil injection system on my Johnson two stroke when I bought it-the dealer encouraged me to do this as the OMC systems were known to fail. Mixing oil is a hassle but the motor has performed flawlessly for 11 yrs now.

If you do disconnect the system be sure and disconnect the warning light and buzzer as these will go off when it thinks the engine is not getting any oil. That warning buzzer is LOUD. Ask me how I know. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts