Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to have a water pump serviced on my `77 35 H.P. Johnson outboard. Any suggestions ?? No, I won`t ever go back to Vintage Outboard in Arvada . I`m in the Denver metro area.

Thanx, Jeff

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Try the Boat Shop in Commerce City. I don't think they have a web page.

6980 Highway 2, Commerce City, CO 80022
(303) 287-2788

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys. I have a workshop manual and I am a mechanic so that is a good option. Would just like to have someone do it quickly. I`d guess the labor to be about an hour plus parts. Best Marine in Arvada said they couldn`t get to it for a couple of months and they did not call me back to let me know if they had a parts kit in stock. A recommended repair shop in Aurora had waaaay too many complaints so that one`s out. Boat Shop`s mail box is full...…... in Commerce City. I will try Crowley Marine. Thanx again !

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Really hard to get anyone to look at a boat quickly, especially this time of year.

My other recommendation would be Inlet Bay up at Horsetooth. Bruce always took care of me when I had my old boat. But I had a really strong relationship with him. And I know he is next to impossible to get on the phone.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, wrong time of year to get something done quickly. Heading up to Minnesota in a couple weeks after leaving the boat dormant for a couple years. Ran fine when I shut it off but now no water coming out of the by-pass or exhaust with a hose set-up, crap! I will probably dunk the lower end in a reservoir and let it really soak before starting again and then probably resorting to disassembly if still dry.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, been there-done that ! Darren at Crowley did return my call ! Nice guy, but doesn`t work on the older motors like mine. I ordered a rebuild kit this morning so I`m in it with both feet . Ill keep ya posted. Thanx for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, been there-done that ! Darren at Crowley did return my call ! Nice guy, but doesn`t work on the older motors like mine. I ordered a rebuild kit this morning so I`m in it with both feet . Ill keep ya posted. Thanx for all the suggestions.

Got the job done myself...…… not an easy thing to do ( reassembling the lower unit to the top was a bear ). I think I walked away from it about 4 times as I became frustrated trying to do with 2 hands what 4 hands was really needed. But...….. I know the right words and finally it went back together. Thanks for the encouragement .

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Got the job done myself...…… not an easy thing to do ( reassembling the lower unit to the top was a bear ). I think I walked away from it about 4 times as I became frustrated trying to do with 2 hands what 4 hands was really needed. But...….. I know the right words and finally it went back together. Thanks for the encouragement .

Glad to hear that you got it done! :thumb:

You found out that (at least on your motor) that part is a two man job. You'll be ready for that next time. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I celebrated with a tall double gin and tonic ! ;D

Next issue...…….
Great fishing boat but it has an issue that needs fixing b/4 it goes back out on the water. I`m looking for suggestions on tightening the buck rivets in the hull. The boat is a 17` all aluminum SeaNymph with a side console. Great for shallow water, very light. The problem is that the seams have become a bit loose and I`m taking on a bit more water than I want. Anyone have any recommendations for a good shop that can either tighten the existing buck rivets or replace them?? I would really like to get this done in the next couple of months.

Thanx for any leads.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Never done this before because I run a welded hull. Because I am a do it yourselfer I don't think it would be all that difficult. But obviously not my boat.....

I would pick a seam that is easily accessible and monitored and try adding a rivet on either side of ones that you notice being loose. The thing that I see being the BIGGEST problem is how to tighten the seams. I would imagine that the flexing hull has wallowed the existing rivet holes a little and allows the seam to flex a little each wave. The new rivets would only prevent the issue getting worse and possibly tightening the problem seam a little.

Watch them closely.

I spoke with a guy on Mac a few weeks ago that has an old wood Chris-Craft that he has to fill with water for a month each spring to allow the wood to swell and make it water tight. So just maybe you could use caulking on each seam prior to installing new rivets.

I see this being a very costly repair, plus your timing sucks. Any shop worth getting this done is going to have a hard time setting aside a week for your repair.

There was an informercial of Billy (someone) spraying a substance on a screen and then magically a day later using it as a boat. lol

Good luck

·
Registered
24,499 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, best advise EVER ! Thanks for posting those links. I`m sure I`m not the only one that needs this fix .

again, THANX !

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts