Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1282 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am the CDOW biologist responsible for managing all the waters in Grand and Summit counties, or as I like to explain it, everything that flows into the Colorado River down to State Bridge - except for the Piney River drainage. Anyway, most of you have probably noticed our discussion on the thread concerning Dillon Reservoir. That discussion has definitely veered well away from Dillon itself at times, and so I thought I would just start a new thread with a more open format. So you can fire questions at me on whatever topic you're interested in at the time. I am not making any specific commitments to the amount of time I will devote to answering your questions or discussing stuff on here, but I will commit to checking the thread on a daily basis, for the most part. If you haven't read the thread entitled "dillon the wasted reservoir" you should go ahead and do that to see the ground we've covered so far. One ground rule that I'll state up front is that I won't be drawn into detailed discussions regarding waters that I don't manage (Blue Mesa, etc.) because in some cases I don't really have any more detailed information than you do on waters outside my area, and I haven't necessarily had in-depth conversations with all my counterparts regarding all their management activities. That being said, let's keep the good discussions going. Fire away.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start off by answering an easy question from Zman, a while back, from the other thread:

I thought some of the bigger fish out of Granby seemed fat...could the numbers/grade be lower because most of the fish sampled are smaller mysis eaters that dont grow as large...I am assuming you would measure more sub 30 inch fish or is it an even sampling?...

Thanks again!!!

We were discussing the current trend in body condition of lake trout in Granby. See my next post.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The above graph (click on the image to see the full size) shows the relationship of lake trout size and body condition in my standard gill net survey this past May. The heavy red line is the overall average of all the fish in the sample, 78.2. Granted, the sample is only a couple dozen fish, but usually if there is a relationship going on that is enough fish to see it. So Zman, the answer to your question is that there was no relationship between fish size and body condition this year. You can see that the four largest fish in the sample had body condition factors ranging from about 69 to about 92. 92 is pretty good for Granby: an A-.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, my lunch break is over and it's time for me to move on. But I wanted to mention a couple of things: I just had a conversation with Steve Gale of Wyoming Game and Fish, who is the management biologist at North Crow Lake in WY, and he has been manually removing suckers there (we were discussing this in the Dillon thread). So I'll let you guys know what I learned from him. Also, I've received a couple messages asking me about the kokanee situation at Green Mountain Reservoir and I'll fill you folks in on that when I have some time.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Thanks, Jon! We really appreciate you taking the trime to help us understand these issues better!

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
So what is your best guess on how to turn "The wasted reservoir" into a viable trophy destination? And for what species?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
hats off to YOU!! hope you have enough time because we got allot to talk about!! Lets talk Kokanee in Colorado in General. I know the CDOW wants the spawners to run back to the place of being dumped into lakes / rivers so eggs can be harvested and that hatchery success is better than wild reproduction. But why not put more effort in Colorado into getting selfsubstaining runs of Kokanee going in Colorado lakes? It seems to be a win win situation for the fisherys and fisherman. From my understanding Flaming Gorge has multiple runs of self substaining kokanee , some in the lake(marsh crk area) and some up streams(sheep crk). If a sterile lake like Dillion can have natural reproduction it only seems logical there are other lakes in the state that could have real success? I'm not talking about throwing all the eggs into this but taking a small percentage of them and attempting it, it would be a great project for the boys and girls up at CSU....

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thanks a lot, Jon. Very good of you.

Steve Gale is def the driving force behind keeping "the Crow" and its little sister as sucker free as possible. Nice guy and a wealth of information. The only benefit from the sucker population in there that i can see is that it MAY eventually drive folks away. North Crow has become so freaking popular in the last two years, its disgusting. The people/trash/attitudes i mean-not the new regs.
...but thats just me bieng bitter..not actually a "benefit"...
The splake havent been thriving on the suckers there as the GnF once thought..so manually removing must be the newest tactic i guess?...kinda scary especially with that whole drainage being so tightly connected (lots of bodies of water)

Again, thanks for donating your time when you can on this forum. Its nice to have some information straight from a professional source, as things can get out of hand with member opinions often-which in turn makes threads dwindle into bs and interests gets lost in the rants and raves.
-K

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
bobco said:
it would be a great project for the boys and girls up at CSU....
Yeah like that little CSU project on the "Greenback" trout. That is one heckuva mess-

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
So what is your best guess on how to turn "The wasted reservoir" into a viable trophy destination? And for what species?
First I think you need to convince Dillon, Silverthorne, and Fisco that they want a fishing town instead of yuppie skiing, hiking, biking, sailing and shopping village.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for your excellent approach to opening dialog, Jon. I personally appreciate it and hope to it leads to good discussions.

Any info on Williams Fork pike forecast for 2010 open water? CL

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Jon as you can see there are many folks on here that like to have an inteligent dialog with you, and we would like some of your counterparts to come on and also talk to us, so please let them know we can be real nice people. we know that not everyone will agree with every point but we love how you have brought many points up and informed us on what you are trying to do. keep up the good work

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SLAYERFISH said:
Slayer - in a perfect world, my dream for Dillon Reservoir would be to have a sparse population of large tiger muskie, just enough of them to maintain control on the sucker population, thus freeing up productivity in the reservoir for the brown trout population to flourish again. See the Dillon Reservoir thread for a more detailed discussion on all the hurdles that need to be dealt with to get there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fishful Thinker said:
Thanks for your excellent approach to opening dialog, Jon. I personally appreciate it and hope to it leads to good discussions.

Any info on Williams Fork pike forecast for 2010 open water? CL
Hi Chad - I don't have any reason to believe pike fishing will decline in any way at Williams Fork this year. One change that is going to occur is that due to budget problems within our agency, catchable rainbow trout numbers took a big hit for 2010, and we'll only be stocking about half the number that the lake has received in recent years. Stomach content analysis that I've done shows that pike feed approximately half-and-half on stockers and kokanee there, so there are two things that may happen this year: 1. the pike will be hungrier due to the lower numbers of stockers available, and so the fishing might actually be better, and 2. the pike may put more pressure on the kokanee population and prey on them more heavily than normal to replace the lack of stockers. That one is a concern to me. We'll see . . .
For more info on the current situation at WF, check out my report here, if you haven't run across it already:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/22A8501E-92CD-4232-B1D4-56BFCE0B964E/0/WilliamsFork.pdf

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I want to thank Jon for this thread and all at the dow for giving us great fishing through the years and am very grateful for living in this state and especially for the great lake trout fishing I have enjoyed through the years. as for those weight graphs on Granby lake trout I see some leans ones now and then ( I call them lean mean fighting machines as they can fight harder) and fat ones also and and this is generally the norm for granby I also have noticed a steady decrease in smaller lake trout numbers since the last reg changes from 2 to 4 fish. I would like to also mention that anything I can do to help through volunteering and funding to protect and ensure quality fishing at are great lakes be it increasing and finding new kokanee egg taking areas to stocking more rainbows would be of great interest to me.thanks, Steve Penley.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
budget problems and fewer rainbows being stocked? that does not sound good for your valuable kokanee as stocking fewer rainbows means more pressure on them as they are also part of the big picture and my theory is that whirling disease and not stocking rainbows in granby for several years added to the kokanee crash 10 years ago, are the budget cuts necessary in brood lakes?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
TAL0362 said:
SLAYERFISH said:
First I think you need to convince Dillon, Silverthorne, and Fisco that they want a fishing town instead of yuppie skiing, hiking, biking, sailing and shopping village.
What's wrong with having all that and a decent fishery?

1 - 20 of 1282 Posts