Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1282 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Jon you mentioned you want to restart tagging lakers at granby and I was wondering what your reasons are? we tagged hundreds of lakers in the past here and have a huge amount of info that keeps coming in now and then, the dow asked the volunteers who participated in the previous tagging efforts to stop tagging fish 10 years ago I would be interested in why, what sort of tagging system and if volunteers could again be involved, thanks Steve.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Wow...this is one of the most informative threads I have seen in a while; thank you for coming forth with your knowledge of the area Mr. Ewert. It is a great thing, at least to me, to see our regional biologist come on here and be open for a discussion. It is greatly appreciated by us, because it allows fisherman to express our concerns/questions to the biologist and get very informative answers. I wish this would be true for the other many regions of Colorado; that is that I wish that other biologist would do the same thing you have done here.

D.J.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
discount fishing said:
Were you guys ever able to take a look at the lower Blue (BVR)? I called late last summer to report that I'd caught a juvenile pike down there.
discount - we haven't shocked specifically in the area where the Blue and the CR come together, or around the Highway 9 bridge. We have multiple records from the past of pike showing up in that section of river. We do, however, have a station down on the Pumphouse run, and so we assume that if there is a pike population that is actually able to expand downstream to the point of making it through Gore Canyon, we would see it on that section. In 2008 we did pick up a lone pike from the hole near Radium where Sheephorn Creek comes into the river. Also, in 2009 I picked up one 32" pike in the Parshall Hole. Just a couple weeks before that I had a report of a guy catching one that matched that description on the Williams Fork tailwater. So it's not unheard of that they make it into the river; we just haven't seen any kind of reproduction occur (knock on wood). The juvenile you found was most likely out of Wolford, because most of what we're seeing there are 18-22-inch fish.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ewert said:
SLAYERFISH said:
So what is your best guess on how to turn "The wasted reservoir" into a viable trophy destination? And for what species?
Slayer - in a perfect world, my dream for Dillon Reservoir would be to have a sparse population of large tiger muskie, just enough of them to maintain control on the sucker population, thus freeing up productivity in the reservoir for the brown trout population to flourish again. See the Dillon Reservoir thread for a more detailed discussion on all the hurdles that need to be dealt with to get there.
. . . OR, if that is not possible, to be able to stock it heavily enough with Splake that they can hammer the suckers, but not heavily enough to eliminate the kokanee. Where that line is, would take a few years to get figured out.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Green Mtn Kokanee

What is the staus of the kokanee at Green Mtn, if you know? Fishermen I have talked to say they just are not finding them through the ice this year. The last two winters people were catching bazillions of them.

Are your numbers down, too? If so, is it a gill lice issue, in your opinion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Jon, there is another thread on the forum, but thought I would ask the question here. Do you know when Williams Fork will open to boating this year? After reading some of your comments about the lake, I'm eager to give it a try.

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: Green Mtn Kokanee

gofindyourowndamnfish said:
What is the staus of the kokanee at Green Mtn, if you know? Fishermen I have talked to say they just are not finding them through the ice this year. The last two winters people were catching bazillions of them.

Thanks.
i think the gill lice has something to do with the kokes , ive been out to gm three times fishing for kokes and i only marked afew schools , out of the three times ive been out i caught 1 kokanee , so its hard to tell what happended , iam going to try one more time in acouple weeks , march always seems to be the month i have done good there , but who knows , i hope they dident crash the dow guy who checked me at gm this past weekend also mentioned that he hadent heard of any silver kokes being caught

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ewert said:
discount fishing said:
Were you guys ever able to take a look at the lower Blue (BVR)? I called late last summer to report that I'd caught a juvenile pike down there.
discount - we haven't shocked specifically in the area where the Blue and the CR come together, or around the Highway 9 bridge. We have multiple records from the past of pike showing up in that section of river. We do, however, have a station down on the Pumphouse run, and so we assume that if there is a pike population that is actually able to expand downstream to the point of making it through Gore Canyon, we would see it on that section. In 2008 we did pick up a lone pike from the hole near Radium where Sheephorn Creek comes into the river. Also, in 2009 I picked up one 32" pike in the Parshall Hole. Just a couple weeks before that I had a report of a guy catching one that matched that description on the Williams Fork tailwater. So it's not unheard of that they make it into the river; we just haven't seen any kind of reproduction occur (knock on wood). The juvenile you found was most likely out of Wolford, because most of what we're seeing there are 18-22-inch fish.
This pike was hooked waaaay upstream from the CO confluence with the Blue. It was hooked about 1/8 mile above the house, where the river gets diverted into the ponds. It was a juvenile fish, maybee 22" and in an area with a lot of frog water on the edges. Not to mention it was caught upstream of a couple of irrigation dams. I scaled it on a map and figured it was caught 4.5-5 miles upstream of the confluence. I forget who I talked to at DOW, but they guaranteed me it swam up from the 'rado, but I'm still not convinced. He also assured me that there's no place for pike to spawn in that area, but again, I'm not convinced. If you look it over on google earth you'll see there's plenty of sloughs, ponds, back waters, and ditches for pike to spawn in. I suspect that if you shocked it you might be shocked at what you find (pun intended).

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
redleader said:
TAL0362 said:
SLAYERFISH said:
So what is your best guess on how to turn "The wasted reservoir" into a viable trophy destination? And for what species?
First I think you need to convince Dillon, Silverthorne, and Fisco that they want a fishing town instead of yuppie skiing, hiking, biking, sailing and shopping village.
What's wrong with having all that and a decent fishery?
I think its a great idea... Some of the summit county people (government types) I have talked to, say the lake fishing crowd is not the type they are trying to attract. I'm sure Jon must have a view on that.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
TAL0362 said:
redleader said:
TAL0362 said:
SLAYERFISH said:
First I think you need to convince Dillon, Silverthorne, and Fisco that they want a fishing town instead of yuppie skiing, hiking, biking, sailing and shopping village.
I think its a great idea... Some of the summit county people (government types) I have talked to, say the lake fishing crowd is not the type they are trying to attract. I'm sure Jon must have a view on that.
your probably right wouldn't want any lake fishing people scumming up there town, make the lake sailboats only and forget it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
-Dave- said:
I do want to ask a serious question and it's just an opinion and nothing more.

how do you feel about the Antero issue and how would someone like you go about managing that fishery?
Dave - I honestly am not sure what issue exactly you're talking about. What I do know is that just by the nature of the lake, Antero will always be on a boom-and-bust cycle. Just enjoy the booms while they last. The very reason it booms - its productivity - is the same reason it busts. I know that Jeff busts his ass out there to do everything he can to make it as good as possible. One thing he tried a couple of years ago was plowing the snow off the ice - it's the lack of sunlight in the winter that leads to all the phytoplankton, algae, and rooted plants dying, and sucking all the oxygen out of the water. So they were out there with a plow clearing it off. He would be out in front of the plow truck drilling holes with the auger every once in a while to make sure the ice was thick enough. Of course, the inevitable South Park wind foiled their efforts at that. Besides that, we talk about things like how a particular strain of rainbow is doing that we're both trying to get going, and stocking rates he's using for splake and whether or not he's seeing any benefit, etc. but that's about it. I also know that he's got some kind of advisory group that meets and he bounces ideas off of, to make sure he's got the buy-in of the sportsmen before he makes management decisions. But like I've said before, I don't know a lot of detail about what's going on on other peoples' waters.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
redleader said:
TAL0362 said:
redleader said:
TAL0362 said:
SLAYERFISH said:
your probably right wouldn't want any lake fishing people scumming up there town, make the lake sailboats only and forget it.
The people I have dealt with the most are the folks with the Town of Silverthorne, but it's been almost all on river stuff. I can say that as far as the river and its fishery goes, they are far more protective of that river than any local government entity I've ever seen. They place an extremely high value on the health of that river. I really haven't dealt much at all with county government, other than the open space guys, who are great. It seems like it would be foolish for anyone to not be supportive of a group of people who bring any level of economic input to the area, especially in this economy. I've never heard anyone say anything disparaging about the lake fishing crowd, but like I said I probably haven't ever dealt with whoever you may have heard something like that from.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Re: Green Mtn Kokanee

gofindyourowndamnfish said:

Thanks.
All right, all right, I've had three questions about Green Mountain. Not real pretty these days, is it? Those little Macs are pretty skinny and not much to be found in the way of kokanee. So first of all, kokanee are very hard to catch in our normal gillnet surveys, so in pretty much all the lakes, we rarely get more than one or two, never enough to really be able to say from that information what the population is doing. I'm planning on trying some other types of gillnetting this spring, out in the middle of the lake, to see what I can see.
GM did have that gill lice outbreak in about the fall of '07 and it hasn't been the same since. And since then, I've seen gill lice in both kokanee and trout all the way up to Dillon dam. So the spawning kokanee apparently carried it up the river with them. I've seen some kokes that have very heavy infestations of gill lice, so I guess what I would say is that its the best explanation I can come up with regarding why they've been so unreliable for the past couple of years.
We are going to put the sonar boat on the lake this summer and do a sonar survey for the first time in several years, since this has become such a concern. That will give us a good lakewide view of what kokanee densities really are right now, and we'll be able to compare that with other lakes around the state.
Here is the kokanee stocking history for the past five years there:

2005: 130,000
2006: 200,000
2007: 300,000
2008: 300,000
2009: 300,000

It's true that numbers stocked were down in '05, but those fish should be out of the system by now, and just based on stocking #'s we should be on an upswing right now rather than a down-cycle. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to control the gill lice parasite in the water. Fortunately, it does seem to go in cycles and so hopefully we'll come out of this cycle pretty soon. Gill lice were first documented in Green Mountain and the Blue River in the early '80's, so it's not like it's a new thing. We just don't know exactly what triggered the big outbreak.
I admit that out of my six big reservoirs, Green Mountain is the one I've spent the least amount of time on in the three years I've been around, so it's a priority for me to spend some time out there this May and June. Sorry I don't have better info than that for you.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Thanks, Jon. So where did the gill lice in Colorado come from initially?

I had never heard of them until a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

One more thing I thought you guys would like. A year ago the Denver Water guys drained the stilling basin at the base of Dillon dam for maintenance. They had about a foot of water in the bottom and saw that there were a whole lot of fish down there, as expected. They called me up and I brought down a bunch of nets and tubs and we moved the fish out into the river. But this is the biggest thing that was living down there. Biggest brown I've ever handled.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Ewert said:

One more thing I thought you guys would like. A year ago the Denver Water guys drained the stilling basin at the base of Dillon dam for maintenance. They had about a foot of water in the bottom and saw that there were a whole lot of fish down there, as expected. They called me up and I brought down a bunch of nets and tubs and we moved the fish out into the river. But this is the biggest thing that was living down there. Biggest brown I've ever handled.
shoulders! thats a toad!

21 - 40 of 1282 Posts