Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1282 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,243
Cochise - of course I'm still around, haven't gone anywhere. Post your question in the comments section of the page that I linked in the message right above yours. Sounds like a good topic for conversation.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Why can folks put feeders on the river in close proximatey to public waters? Why then cannot I use corn or such to shoot deer or ducks over?

Are there the same 2 week regulations?

Why is this allowed at all...shooting food into the river? Do they feed what they want? re they regulated as to what feed they can use?

Sorry I was hoping to shine a little light on this here.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Results from State of the fish meeting from Granby 3-19-2014.

At Grand lake Jon Ewert wanted to get rid of the Lake trout protective slot that has been on the lake for over 40 years.

It was agreed that the 26"- 36" lake trout slot would stay on Grand Lake year round and the limit would change to 4 fish in aggregate with Trout and Kokanee.

At Lake Granby It was agreed if the bag limit went from 4- 8 on lake trout there would be a 1 over 22" limit added to the regulations.

Other topics of discussion. At Granby it was noted how the last 3 years Granby's catchable Rainbow stocks have been cut to a third or so of normal while every other lake in the area has had increases, how last year none were stocked prior to Memorial day and how the shore fishery has suffered due to the lack of proper stocking. Results are Granby is supposed to get an increase in Catchables stocked this year and a big portion are supposed to be stocked prior to Memorial day. It was also noted how Lake Granby's mismanagement in the fact that they purposely shorted the Rainbow stocks, now put out 32 nets a year for nothing but Lake Trout population studies and want to bring in even more nets from CSU for even more Lake trout only studies while they do No monitoring on Rainbow, Brown or sucker populations, have not done a lake census on the anglers for many years and have no intention of it does not improve the fishing here and how they should be managing by making efforts to Improve, not reduce the fishing and opportunities. It was also brought up how studies on bringing in Lake Whitefish, a forage fish that feeds on Mysis Shrimp and is very successful at Flathead lake Montana should be studied since there is no hope (due to clean water efforts) of improving the Kokanee situation by improving the water conditions that are void of the basic ingredients needed for Kokanee to thrive during extended high water years.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Thanks red leader, great info.

Do you know when these regulations go into effect.
The process is the proposals for any regulation changes need to be approved by the state wildlife commissioners at one of the commissioner meetings. Jon told us he would make the proposals but it is ultimately up to the Denver office and the Commissioners to approve them. I've requested the information on when and where the meetings will be concerning the changes and have had no response yet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The process is the proposals for any regulation changes need to be approved by the state wildlife commissioners at one of the commissioner meetings. Jon told us he would make the proposals but it is ultimately up to the Denver office and the Commissioners to approve them. I've requested the information on when and where the meetings will be concerning the changes and have had no response yet.
This is my biggest gripe with the CPW and their commissions. Takes forever to change a regulation. Had this discussion during the Blue Mesa laker meeting in Montrose about koke overharvest. CPW answer was they would look at the proposals at the next review (which they said would be in a couple of years). If the problem exists now why wait a couple of years to fix it?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
This is my biggest gripe with the CPW and their commissions. Takes forever to change a regulation. Had this discussion during the Blue Mesa laker meeting in Montrose about koke overharvest. CPW answer was they would look at the proposals at the next review (which they said would be in a couple of years). If the problem exists now why wait a couple of years to fix it?
Takes forever if they don't want to change it in the first place. Actually if they want to change a regulation they can just push it through outside of the normal 5 year reg change period with limited public input. We saw that happen at Green mtn. and Williams fork.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
yup thats how thye put you off, changes have to go to commision meeting blah blah blah, but if they want to do something bamm it is done! We all hit them up on lowering Koke bag on Blue Mesa to 5-6 fish ,no way in hell tourist wont come if they cannot hord 10 kokanee a day!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
After 3 days of netting at Granby last spring we picked up very few Suckers. Might be due for a little correction on this issue. Pretty obvious since Lake trout were established, Granby has never been 80% suckers. Here's a 4 year old quote from an old thread.
I did say that lake trout do not control sucker densities, and I stand by that statement until I see evidence otherwise. I have yet to hear an explanation of why Granby is currently 80% suckers and the lake trout I sampled in 2009 have an average relative weight of 78.
After 3 years of 32 nets lake wide I do believe now you see your own evidence.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
. . . OR, if that is not possible, to be able to stock it heavily enough with Splake that they can hammer the suckers, but not heavily enough to eliminate the kokanee. Where that line is, would take a few years to get figured out.
Why would splake be assumed to "hammer suckers" and lake trout not? Is there a situation or example in any other body of water were lake trout solely have "eliminated kokanee"

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Good article Clackaram, luckily at Granby we aren't dealing with any native fish specie's at risk and can just work toward making it the best possible fishery that the limited productivity will provide. Lake Whitefish would be a great addition to Granby but not very likely that we will see a new specie in this day and age. Those Indians at Flathead should just adapt to Lake Trout, like many things that change they never will be the same, Lake trout are excellent smoked and they will never go hungry with a lake full of them. Yellowstone also has native specie's and the Lake Trout should have never been there. Neither lake can be compared to Granby but the extensive studies on Lake trout habits and diet at Flathead are interesting. The DPW should just make Dillon reservoir a Kokanee egg taking lake and start stocking Kokanee, the lakes not good for much else and with no predators to deal with it should be a huge success, lol.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There are some situational similarities between Flathead and Granby. Both lakes have a Lake Trout, Kokanee, and Mysis dynamic. I think it also illustrates that a simplistic relationship between lake trout and kokanee is not the only consideration that needs to be made per Fordo's question above. There are also other factors in this case the Mysis that also have to be considered.

Agreed, it is fortunate that Granby does not have a threatened native species to also consider like Flathead and Yellowstone.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
http://www.skyhidailynews.com/news/11072142-113/granby-lake-wildlife-fish

Ewert tells the local Grand county news that Lake Granby got cut to 30k Catchable rainbows the last several years from the normal 80k to 90k due to budget cuts and hatchery problems but forgets to mention that every other lake in his region has had increases (some huge).

Lake Granby was the only lake in the region that had Catchables cut.

Not only that in 2013 Green mtn, less than a third the size of Granby got 25% more than Granby did, Williams fork about a fourth the size got almost as many as Granby and in 2012; Dillon, less than half the size got more than Granby while Grand lake got close to the same amount for a lake a fourteenth the size. We did get 7000 stocked through the ice this month compared to no effort to stock any until after Memorial day last year.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
With bio's like that on our side who needs the Northwest Regional CPW Bio group.

I will tell you what the Hatchery problem is...They are making all suckfish now. Triploid makers and sucker spawners.

Now let's go spend 50 million to put some fragile rainbow in the gunny so that folks can trample the redds and pick them off as they please during the spawn.

Why do I get so mad at these twits. No different than Cliven and the BLM.

Sorry, I will go get another cup of jo.

1241 - 1260 of 1282 Posts