Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by Josh's Pond tonight......first thing we saw was a poster about Josh's Pond Dredging.

The sign reads:
"The City & County of Broomfield is in the process of dewatering Josh's Pond in preparation for dredging and rehabilitation. There are still fish in the pondand arrangements have been made to have them removed as soon as the water level drops down. Please keep out of the pond as the sediment is deep and you will sink in it. The Notice to Proceed is scheduled to be given to the contractor to begin construction on Nov. 14, 2005. In response to the community's concerns, the city and county of broomfield is looking into an alternative aeration system to be used in lieu of the SolarBee System. if you should have any questions regarding this project please do not hesitate to call the Project Manager, Rebecca Sturgeon @ 303-464-5648."

Well of course...thinking that if the water is low, and the fish still in there, it'd be great fishing, we went down into the lakebed.

The smell was overpowering. We walked down on some plywood laid by the contractors for the suction hose. There was maybe 3-4" of water left in the bottom of the lake, and we thought...oh, damn they already have it emptied and the fish are all gone.

That was until we got our flashlight out. Shining the light around, we were SHOCKED!!! The sign said they were removing the fish.....but there were literally hundreds of fish...laying dead on the banks, and in the water. Lots of bluegills, shad, and carp/catfish we saw that were probably 1-2 lbs. We didn't see any bass, but we were only in one spot of the lake and it was really dark out. I don't think I would want to see it during the day.

They must not have transplanted any of the fish!!!!!

What a waste of a lake full of fish!! If I would have had a camera I would have gotten pictures. Just thought that everyone might appreciate knowing about this.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hopefully what you saw was only a partial fish kill.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This re-building will be the best thing for this lake. After the aeration system failed twice in recent years, Josh's bass population has been wiped out. Some largemouth were +18 inches.

Heavy decomposition is also a huge problem here. Dredging out the "slop", restructuring the bottom and completely replacing the aeration system will give this great neighborhood lake a fresh start.

Josh's Pond was my payday/lunchbreak fishing spot. I could hit the bank on Friday, deposit the check, swing by BK and get a few casts in before getting back to the office.

Fishkill is unfortunate. I hate to say anything go to waste like that. The silver lining here is that the lake will be better off and any real bass population was pretty much wiped out already. Some bass had been restocked but only had a year or so to grow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have nothing against the rebuilding of the lake....it's just the fact that they stated, "There are still fish in the pondand arrangements have been made to have them removed as soon as the water level drops down." This makes them sound like they are doing the responsible thing and transplanting the fish. I am sure that we would all have appreciated that many more fish in any other nearby lake, instead of them rotting in the sun. That is what pisses me off.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I hear ya NS. They could have easily gone in there, shocked the fish and moved them elsewhere. Rarely is this actually done. We've lost quite a number of lakes through the drought and I only know of a few instances where fish were moved. In those instances, it was a fraction of the existing population.

They may have taken a few fish out of Josh's Pond and relocated them but this statement was probably more of a P.R. move to keep some locals from feeling sorry and igniting a wetland rescue protest or something.

My biggest concern now is how they manage the lake going forward. I would really like to see this place regain its fomer glory. It may take a while but if they do it right, Josh's Pond will be as good or better than it was. And we were talking +18 inch bass, nice 5 pounder catfish and schools of sunfish. Pretty amazing for a 3 surface acre lake.

B

·
0 Posts
The DOW removed 150 fish, The City of BroomField removed 100 and 50 died. That was the report from the Broomfield newspaper. The fish were move to Tom Forst Res. in Broomfield. I stop by Josh's Pond on the 23rd of September and it was just about drained, I saw some carp and a few bluegill. This was my afterwork fishing hole. Good sized cats and bluegill. Small bass but you could cacth 6 10" bass in an hours time. I hope they do this place right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts