Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on another forum and someone had posted about fishing with Jug lines. I was wondering what everyone's veiws on jug fishing was. If you use jug lines what baits you use. What techniques, types of jugs, line, hooks you use. Should people be allowed to jug line? If you jug what lakes are your favorite?

I personally think jug lining is OK its like putting a giant bobber out there. I however feel people should be punished harshly for unchecked abandoned jug lines. I once saw a jug swimming all over the lake and the next day found a jug in a tree, I decided to see if it was the one swimming around last night. When I pulled it up there was a head of a catfish on it the head measured 11 inches long, what a shame!!!! Turtles or pike had to have gotten to it before the guy had checked the jug.

If you have no opinion on Jug lines what about trout lines?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
A good rule would be that you have to wright on the jug. Your name, phone # fishing licsence #, time it went in, and every time you check it. As long as it wasn't in anyone's way, I wouldn't see a problem. I think you'd get a lot of people leaving em though.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
It would suck to not be able to find the jug when you go check up on it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't think it is fair. It really isn't fishing, and it kills a lot of fish I'm sure. To each his own though :-\, how much fun can it be to catch one like this anyway?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
TFBear-I agree. Its not about fishing. Ed

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
My experience is that jug fishing is not about sport but subsistence. I know a couple of guys that jug fish and they do it strictly for putting food on their table. They both have large families and very limited budgets, for them stocking the freezer with fish is a matter of the kids eating or going hungry.

Dan

·
Registered
53 Posts
What about noodling? Reaching tinto a hole and pulling out a giant cat. Very popular for Flatheads and Blue's down in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas.

Now that takes some balls and skill! No telling whether you are going to grab a snapping turtle, water moccasin or a cat that is too big for you. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
StillwaterFreak said:
What about noodling? Reaching tinto a hole and pulling out a giant cat. Very popular for Flatheads and Blue's down in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas.

Now that takes some balls and skill! No telling whether you are going to grab a snapping turtle, water moccasin or a cat that is too big for you. :eek:
I did that one time in South Carolina, the guy showing me how to do it didnt warn me about how strong they are. I was out on this log feeling under it when I felt the cat, I grabbed it and it pulled me right off that log into the water I wasnt ready for that. The guy who got me out there was laughing his ass off.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I respect noodlers. That takes some major skill.
Dan, I can also understand the guy you know who does that. The sad thing is they are the exception rather than the rule, and they probably maintain their jugs a lot better, plus the resource is going to a good use.

D

·
0 Posts
It's just a different kind of fishing. I've never used jugs, but when I was growing up in Kansas my buddies and I set our share of trotlines and limb lines. It was a great way to spend the night. We'd run the lines every 2 hours and it was lots of fun - channel cats, flatheads and the occassional giant snapping turtle. Big campfire. Lots of work rowing our little john boats up and down the river.

And it takes some skill. You've got to know where to set your lines, how deep, what baits, etc.    And I sure did love those channel cat fillets!

·
Registered
60 Posts
A documentary called "Okie Noodlin'" on TV (PBS!?) a couple of years ago had several of the noodlers saying that the big fear is accidentally grabbing a beaver. They all claimed to know someone who knows someone who had done it. Must be the prime urban legend of noodlers.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
pescado loco said:
Nothing wrong with grabbin a beaver as long as you work up to it..... ;)
Shame on you. You just made me blow RC Cola all over my keyboard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts