Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I only got out twice the whole month to fish for pike. The first time at the very beginning of the month, I saw over a dozen fish, had one small pike on but ended up getting skunked.
The second time was today and I got on the water at about 7. I started of with a slow cruze over shallow flats and casting my fly at weed lines and trying to site fish. I looked and looked, checked a bunch of spots and saw only a handfull of fish, I casted till my back was telling me it was time to call it a day. After 5 hours of running my troller, I figured I would cruze the lake for about 30 minutes and to run the boat to see how well my battery charger was working. As I was cruzing I decided to check one more bank that I had seen some pike at last time I was out. Sure enough they were loaded up in there. On the second cast, I got wacked hard as my streamer sank on about a 30 foot cast.
Two seconds later I was out to my backing and following this fish with my troller as it still was taking out line.
She swam all the way out to 31 feet deep, and i caught up to her and got right above her. It took about 10 minutes after three or four big runs and two tail walks. I forgot my big net and my buddy stew who is in a wheel chair and a low level parapegic, scooted out of his wheel chair, got in the bow with me and took my rod as I grabbed my Rio Wire Bite leader and got a grip with my jaw grip that my catfishing buddy gave me, it worked damn well and i pulled this pig in the boat. She was a little over 40. First one I ever got over 40, and by far the heaviest one ive ever landed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nice fish mang! I haven't made it up there this year.... Sad monkey I am!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for the complements. it was really fun to target and focus on pike this summer. But i do have to say, I'm ready for skirtin some stimies!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow look at that tummy a zPike...lol great job congrats!...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What a fish! Congrats on getting one over 40. I've come to the conclusion that you must be a giant, If I held that fish it would look like a freaking state record :D

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a fish! Congrats on getting one over 40. I've come to the conclusion that you must be a giant, If I held that fish it would look like a freaking state record :D
Ha!, im not a giant. 6'3 is all.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Great job and on the fly rod, too. Congratulations man! Great fish!

Here is a little trick I was told by a guide in Canada for landing pike that are too big for the net...
Just roll them over onto their backs and they stop jumping and twitching. I know it sounds simple but requires that you roll the fish with one hand ... and keep tension on the line with the other. Tricky on a big pike like you landed.

Again ... Great job!

Mac

1 - 20 of 28 Posts