Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Those are some great suggestions the above people have mentioned, here are a couple more. Only a couple mins away from 11 mile canyon and 11 mile reservoir are the stretch of the South Platte between 11 mile and Spinney Reservoir this stretch is only a couple miles long I think can almost spit on 11 mile from atop the damn at Spinney (if the wind is blowing right ;) ) THis stretch of the Platte is Gold Medal status which simply means flys and lures only and is Catch and Release and is very good fishing. Also you have Spinney Reservoir there as well which is also a very good reservoir to fish.
THe Arkansas I fish this river alot more then any other stream or river, Usually all the way up by Canon City, I think you'll do good on that river with a spinner I also recommend using a Panther Martian in Colorado. You might want to hit the Ark down in Pueblo they have just finished some odd million dollar trout habitat project down there and it looks great the rainbows are really stocking up in there. Also while your there you can hit Pueblo Reservoir which I personally think is a hard lake to fish but its always an option. If you are planning on hitting the Arkansas along highway 50 in the Canon City and Salida area you might want to swing by Brush Hollow another good lake it has bass, crappie, walleye, and trout in it so with a spinner you should nail something there. Water level at Brush Hollow might be a little lower in July because of irragation demands.
Now inside city limits there are 2 little lakes Quail lake and Pikeview pond, both have just about every species of fish that is in Colorado in it. And the good thing about Colorado Springs depending on where you are staying nothing takes more the 30 mins to get to.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
The rainbows just finished their spawn if thats what your asking? There is no trout season in Colorado its year round. The waters between the 2 reservoirs is catch and release only and it recieves alot of fishing pressure but holds some huge fish. These trout are probably some of the smartest trout in the state as they get everything in their mother thrown at them. So presentation is key for this area. As far as the DOW stocking this, they stock the reservoirs and the trout naturally work their way into these riverways. You can fish right next to the stocking truck as it pumps the fish into the water here in Colorado, not that it would do any good you have to give them some time to settle down from the stressful trip. Colorado stocks 10-15" trout alot, and is the DOW's main focus for the state as most people come here to fish for trout so it produces revenue.
A stockign report can be found here: http://wildlife.state.co.us/fishing/fishcond.asp
Along with fishing reports found on this forum the DOW posts fishing reports here: http://wildlife.state.co.us/dowfish/index.asp

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.