Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
826 Posts
Venomous, If you like spin fishing I would recommend the South Platte River in Elevenmile Canyon or the Arkansas River. While growing up in the Springs I would often spin fish both. I have always favored Panther Martin Spinners and IMO they are the best spinner for Colorado rivers and streams. I always did well with 1/4  to 1/8 oz. There is a wide variety of them. My favorite is the gold bladed one with a black body with yellow dots. I use to murder the browns on both rivers with that particular lure. Gold medal waters are trophy fish waters and do have special regulations. Go online for a copy of the latest Colorado fishing regulations booklet. Good luck and enjoy your stay.  :)

· Registered
826 Posts
There is plenty of public access along the Arkansas River and 6lb mono will work just fine. It?s what I have always used. The water will probably still be running very heavy on the Arkansas in early July so you probably will be mostly fishing from the bank and not wading. The farther you go up the river the better the fishing conditions will be for that time of year. There is also plenty of easy access at Elevenmile..
As far as dangerous wildlife, you have a greater chance of being struck by lightening than injured by a black bear, mountain lion or rattlesnake. They are around but like most animals do best they can to avoid humans. Just use common since when trekking through heavy cover especially if you chose to get away from the beaten path.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.