Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.  Tennesse boy here coming for a visit July 10-15.  Need some help here.  While my wife visits with her family I intend to sneak out and enjoy some of Colorado's natural beauty.  I'll be in Colorado Springs July 10-15 and looking to do some trout fishing.  Now, I don't flyfish.  Folks do flyfish in TN, but the choice action is on in-line spinners (such as Rooster Tails) on light spinning rod and reel.  I've already checked into licenses and such, so that's taken care of.  I have some questions though and I'm hoping some of ya'll local fella's can help me out.  Here goes:

1)  Can you recommend some decent trout streams close to Colorado Springs?  Keep in mind, I'm already coming 1200 miles, so I don't want to go far.
2)  With in-line lures in mind, is there a local favorite that I should pick up when I get there?
3)  What are Gold Medal areas and do special regulations apply?

By the way, I'm a catch and release guy.  I just want to catch, snap a pic or two, and release.  Have no intention at all of keeping.  The typical 'bows here in TN aren't near what ya'll have in Colorado.  I mean...I'm seeing pics posted here of 20-23" 'bows.  That's almost unheard of in TN.  The average 'bow I catch here is only about 10-12".  I'm just looking forward to getting the rod bent by a big 'ol bow or brown.  Oh, one more question:

How about some line recommendations, I use 6lb mono in TN.  Will that be sufficient in Colorado?

Look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks all...Venom

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be there for 4-5 days and will probably try a few different spots.  The Arkansas River along US50 does sound good.  The noise I can deal with.  I'm assuming that there are several good places to park to enter the water?  Or should this be fished from the bank?  Also, what about line choice?  Is my 6lb mono good enough?  I'm thinking maybe I should put on 6lb florocarbon instead.  The streams here in TN are probably considered stained compared to those cold mountain streams ya'll have.

I do like the looks of 11-mile too.  I've looked up a couple of websites on that area.  Really like it, but what about access?  Fairly easy or is this an area I need to hike into?

Also, and this may sound stupid, but I better ask anyway.  Should I be concerned with 'other' wildlife?  In TN we have our fair share of nasty reptiles, as I'm sure you do, but what about bears, etc.  Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks...Venom

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fella's, I really appreciate all the good advice. You have been a tremendous help. And TroutFishingBear...WOW! Excellent fish in those pics. That's what I'm after, just to catch some nice trout. Bear, I know that the water you were fishing in those pics is 4 hours away, and your right, I wouldn't want to go that far, but that type of waterway is what I'm looking for. I like a little current running. That's my type of fishing. Moving up and down the bank and workin' the lures.

OURAY-Thanks for the info on the Arkansas River flow. I will most likely be heading down there.

ePIC-I see that you mentioned waters below or between reservoirs. In TN, most of our trout waters are below TVA dams. This means that we have to be very carful of generation schedules. Is the situation similar on CO. Is there a number or website to get scheduled releases?

Thanks...Venom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.