Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hear jumbo reservoir out east will be closed to boating once the water temp goes above 55 degrees. Rumor has it the DOW messed up like is typical for any government agency and they forgot to budget for boat inspectors. I'm not positive this is true but it seems to be so far. Does anyone have any more info on this? Will they permit kayak and other vessels or none at all?

Such a shame really, but it's no surprise. Only silver lining is the fish will be much less pressured and should get a "bonus" summer to grow and reproduce since jumbo isn't the most popular with shoreline fishermen

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Another one bites the dust.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
What the hell does the water temperature have to do with it? You'd think they would pick a date.

That's about as dumb of an excuse as I have heard. Water temperatures have nothing to do with quagga ability to survive. Their population exploded in Powell over the winter. And they survive in the upper mid west when lakes freeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
One of my daughters favorite places to take the pontoon and camp, I get to tell them the news tonight. They DPW got away with taking away most all the smaller lakes without much resistance. Hoping somebody comes up with a plan to get boaters across the state in an uproar.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What the hell does the water temperature have to do with it? You'd think they would pick a date.
Says here at once the water reaches 54 degrees zebra mussels can reproduce
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/zebramussels_threaten

"The mussel's reproductive cycle is one key to its rapid spread and high abundance. Egg production starts when water temperature warms to about 54 degrees F. A fully mature female mussel may produce several hundred thousand eggs per season".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's all good. CO has way more than enough water already. We might as well be MN.
I hope this was sarcasm lol colorado does not have that much water, coming from a farming and ranching family I know this first hand. Colorado has chances to build desperately needed reservoirs and they haven't because it would endanger some birds nest or some squirrels hole. Anyways, our public waters are getting fewer and fewer every day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just talked to the ranger at Barr lake about this. Barr lake is in the same situation as jumbo and will have similar restrictions. What she told me was that this applies to boats with gas engines only. You can still go and hand launch smaller water craft as long as it is an electric motor or uses paddles/oars. You have to have larger boats inspected but don't need an inspection for smaller boats with electric motors. At least that's what I was told.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts

"The mussel's reproductive cycle is one key to its rapid spread and high abundance. Egg production starts when water temperature warms to about 54 degrees F. A fully mature female mussel may produce several hundred thousand eggs per season".
They could still be transferred from a boat to the lake. And start to reproduce when the water temp rises.

The states explanation does not make sense to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

They could still be transferred from a boat to the lake. And start to reproduce when the water temp rises.

The states explanation does not make sense to me.

I totally get what you're saying. The water could be 20 degrees, they allow boating, a bunch of people unknowingly transfer the mussels into the lake. Then the mussels simply wait until the water warms up and reproduce like crazy. Seems to me The only way to stop the spread is to ban all boating altogether

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps someone can tell me why a larger boat with a gas motor isn't allowed or must be inspected but I can take my fishing kayak or a small boat with an electric motor and fish without an inspection? Why can a boat spread the mussels but a kayak can't?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Perhaps someone can tell me why a larger boat with a gas motor isn't allowed or must be inspected but I can take my fishing kayak or a small boat with an electric motor and fish without an inspection? Why can a boat spread the mussels but a kayak can't?

I don't get it either! Why not inspect everyones ass crack before swimming? Someone could easily have some in a cooler and how would they ever know? Asshats!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts