Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a few articles and several posts on message boards talking about how to fish kokanee when they are schooled up and jumping. I have spent many days on lakes with kokanee and have never seen a school of kokanee on the surface jumping. The only time I have seen kokanee jumping is in a river crowded with spawning kokanee.

So my question is, how many of you have seen a school of kokanee jumping in a Colorado lake? And if you have seen it, what does it look like? Do they come out of the water or do they just barely break disturb the surface? Is it fast paced or just one every few minutes? I guess I am just curious if our kokanee do not do this, is it rare here that few ever see it, is it subtle and I did not notice it, or am I just blind/unlucky?

Thanks,
RD

·
Registered
702 Posts
Kokanee jump when schooled up and spawning. It is an instinctual behavior rather than a feeding pattern. Very helpful when trying to locate the little beasts in fall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spawning and pre-spawn kokanee jumping makes sense. It is how they navigate obstacles in rivers, so I assume it is instinct during the spawn. But when I read about jumping kokanee, it is usually early in the year, not near the spawn. It is like kokanee just get some urge to start jumping out of the water. But I have never seen kokanee jump that were not spawning.

Just curious if anyone has seen non-spawning kokanee jumping in the middle of a lake and how common it was.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I was at Granby once and there were some kokes going airborne. I tossed out my streamer on my 6wt and I caught one. It was pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Have seen them jump when schooled up and rotting. They come out of the water. Just one jump every once in a while.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Seen them jumping around dropoffs at wolford in early summer. I cast where I saw them jumping and caught one on a Kasty. Was cool.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I'm just messing with Dave, but...

People will drag kastys through the pods of kokes at Wolford. They will horse the fish in super fast, hunch over them, yank out the hook, and throw em in the cooler. Funny thing is, it's kinda obvious when the fish is coming in sideways that was snagged. Snagging "isn't allowed" at Wolford, but these clowns do it right out in the open and there is never any law enforcement present.

I've seen it enough to never need to go back there during that spawn.

·
Registered
6 Posts

People will drag kastys through the pods of kokes at Wolford. They will horse the fish in super fast, hunch over them, yank out the hook, and throw em in the cooler. Funny thing is, it's kinda obvious when the fish is coming in sideways that was snagged. Snagging "isn't allowed" at Wolford, but these clowns do it right out in the open and there is never any law enforcement present.

If you snag 'em in the mouf, it's a catch! ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

Gotcha

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gents. I guess it is not that common here. One of my books suggest driving around the lake until you see kokanee jumping, as if it is a normal thing to see. Good to know they come out of the water and I have not been missing something.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've seen this in the Spring at Granby. You'll also sometimes also see an 'oil slick' (no different than fish schooled up in salt water) as well.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've seen this in the Spring at Granby. You'll also sometimes also see an 'oil slick' (no different than fish schooled up in salt water) as well.
In the Spring the Kokanee and Rainbows will be flipping on the surface eating midge.

The Kokanee will jump during the spawn mostly in the mornings and evenings.
Columbine bay comes alive with jumpers right at dusk In October.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Spawning kokes will "dolphin", meaning doing little arcs with their backs coming out of the water. That's key to finding them when snagging, just walk the shoreline until you see a group of them doing it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i know brownies in the spawn jump to bust the egg sacs loose. im curious if thats what eyes are doing when you hear them jumping in the spawn. dont want to know how i personally know about that sac. folks up north are sick!!!!

ive seen kokes at the mile jump in the middle of summer in the shallow end of the lake. i couldnt figure out what the heck the grey fish was i kept seeing jump randomly. then the guy i was with caught one. it wasnt super zombied but it wasnt silver either. kinda grey and red.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts