Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished juniata for a few hours with ice. It was amazing in some ways, and not so good in others. We got there too late first off to pattern the fish a bit, like at 7:30 or 7:45. We had to guess where the walleyes were. We guessed wrong. However, we got into some big trout, smallies, and largemouth. (ice did catch a walleye, but only 1). Ice caught a 16" fat rainbow on his first cast with a curly tail grub. I caught a 5" smallmouth soon after that on a 1/4 oz little cleo. Ice then caught an 18" very fat rainbow on a tail dancer. I had a couple trout hit my spoon but didn't catch them. I had a walleye on also but he got off. Snap jigged the spoon- I wouldn't say it was very effective at all, even on the trout. Ice noticed some bass jumping near some of the flooded trees and brush, but he was only after walleye. I on the other hand, didn't care if I caught some nice bass too. I put on a rapala skitter pop and caught 7 smallies and 1 largemouth on it in about 30 minutes. The smallies were mostly 13" or so but I caught a 16" and a 17", both fairly fat, but nothing amazing. I lost another nice smallie probably 16 or 17" too. The largemouth was about 13" and skinny. The wind came up, and the sun was about down, and I realized I still needed to get a fish to eat. I threw a #7 rattling suspending shad rap, and caught 3 trout, a skinny 23" trout I harvested, and 2 fat 18" that I let go. I lost several others. All of this was in a span of about 15 minutes and then the sun was fully down. They hit the shadrap every cast besides 1. Just reel it down and pause it for 10 seconds, reel a few cranks, pause 10 seconds, it didn't take long before one absolutely hammered it. As I was walking over to the dam to catch walleye, ice caught a 14" walleye on a taildancer. I figured we would have a great bite since the full moon had just risen. I was wrong. In the next hour, I had 1 walleye on on an x-rap and also lost 1 smallie that was tiny. Ice caught an 8" smallie. We left around 10:30 or 11:00 pm. Overall, it was outstanding fishing this trip, but not for walleye. The walleye are NOT on the dam in any numbers. I would guess they are on the south shoreline.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts