Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to juniata yesterday. Got to the parking lot at about 4:00. Walked to the lake by about 4:20. There were storm clouds all around and the breeze was roughly 10 mph, so perfect conditions. Historically this time of year, the walleye have been on the flats south of the dam just past those trees. I walked to there and tied on a 1/4 oz. gold little cleo. I cast it out and sunk it to the bottom and started snap jigging it. I caught a 12" walleye the first cast. It had got the cleo in its gill, so I kept it. (no size restriction for walleye here, DOW doesn't want them here) My next cast I caught a 3" smallmouth bass on it. The wind was starting to come up now, and it started raining some. I had a few more casts without landing a fish, although I did lose a largemouth bass. I then caught a 13" walleye, and since I already had a 12", I kept it to make a meal. The wind was about 30 mph now, and the waves were about 2 ft on the lake. It was raining hard. I caught a 12" fat smallmouth and a 18" walleye on back to back casts. By this time, the storm was really coming on, and the wind can blow here. I estimated it at 40 mph and the spray from the lake was drenching me. So I had to find shelter. I found it behind some big rocks on the northern shore. We waited for about an hour or so for the storm to stop. It was blowing over finally! We went to the eastern shore, which historically isn't very good this time of year due to stained water due to the inlets being muddy. Iceintheveins caught a 14" walleye over here. I had another on. Then, the sun peeked out from behind the clouds. I knew then the walleye fishing was done until sun down. (it was about 7:00 now) I ran down to purdy mesa and put on a rapala skitterpop. I cast it out for about 45 minutes and only caught 2 small largemouth (11", 12"). Disappointing for sure when the lake was boiling. I ran back up to juniata and fished the dam hard for the evening bite. Nada besides a 10" smallmouth. The fish were on the flats. I knew it, should've fished there. Would've limited out. Oh well, if anyone from the west slope wants to catch walleye on a cloudy day, or at sundown, this is the place. They should be on the flats for another week or so until the water warms up enough from the intense sun and they run to the deep part of the lake. Sadly, this reservoir is a typical no body contact reservoir. No boating.(actually, I got yelled at by one of the guys once because I washed my hands in the lake.) Talk to ya all later.

·
Registered
92 Posts
TFB,
I think I was in the same storm at Crawford. It was pretty major! Big Wind, Big waves, Big Rain!! I'm gonna hafta get some of those walleye, I have never caught one before. They sound like fun!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beware, the skunking at juniata if you are an inexperience walleye angler. It took me a long time (about 5 years) to really get good at catching them as they are particularly tricky to pattern at this lake. One week you may think you have found THE lure for walleye and the next week in similar conditions in the same spot they won't touch it, but will readily take a lure they didn't want to touch last week. Confusing, huh.
Here are some patterns for juniata that should get you by right now.
If it has been a hot day, mid 80's-100 degrees or so, with little cloud cover, you aren't going to get jack squat until literally sundown, and in this case the dam is where they will most likely be. The best spot on the dam is right below that little house thing (you'll see it), and right where the culvert goes in. On the dam, they will like curly tail grubs (you will lose a lot of these, I swear), rapala tail dancers up to about size 9, and crawdad crankbaits, particuraly the narrow bodied ones. The rebel brand is my fav., the natural color is the best, get 1 each of the sizes. Throw those things out as far as you can. If the day has been cloudy, like it was when I was fishing, particularly if it is in the spring or fall, or early summer, you will find the fish on 1 key flat, if and only if the wind was blowing north. That is the flat just south of the dam. That is where they were on 5/29. You can catch walleye all day, provided the sun stays behind clouds. If the wind is blowing westerly and slightly south however, they will be on the south flats, or in the southeastern cove at the mouth where there are rocks. Use spoons, particularly 1/4 oz little cleos, and snap jig them. Other good presentations are a 1/4 oz bill lewis rattletrap or a rattlin' rapala. The rattletrap works well everywhere on the lake, while other lures I listed are specific. Now, I know that sounds kind of complicated, but I've fished this lake a lot and I know the patterns as well as anyone can save for one hispanic guy that catches a shi**oad of fish there. That is all for walleye, and I have another hot spot as well, but it will not be as quality this time of year due to stained water. Keep any dang old walleye you catch, they are good eating. Limit is 5. Throw every other species of fish you catch back, especially largemouth and rainbows, both of which get monstrous in this lake but are in fairly low populations. If you want to catch the big rainbows, FOLLOW THE BLUEGILL. The rainbows sometimes go on a feeding frenzy on these fish, use a 1/4 oz. silver/blue rattletrap and fish it aggressively to catch these fish.

Of course, it sounds like I've given off all the secrets to this lake, but I have only just begun. If you are fishin' there let me know. I may just be able to show up and give you the scoop on the lake.
BTW: if the day is hot, sunny, and clear like I described, go fish for bass down at purdy mesa (lower lake) during the day. Best fishing is either on the dam or by the trees on the southern shore. use flukes, senkos and rattletraps to get these feisty largemouth that can get pretty good size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts