1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's awesome. Tomorrow I am taking my class of fifth graders fishing at a pond in Thornton. I think I will show them that link and see what kind of positive response it will generate.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome. Tomorrow I am taking my class of fifth graders fishing at a pond in Thornton. I think I will show them that link and see what kind of positive response it will generate.
Awesome! You should take some before and after pics as well as the days catch! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If peeps would just pick up after themselves....I know that is asking a lot of some people :crazy:

When I take the gf's boy to the local pond we always pick up trash. At first it was easy I would challenge him to find ten pieces o trash, now he is wise to the game and wonders why we do it and he doesn't want to do it. Pretty sure he doesn't see the reward as I do but i hope he will some day.

May have to change my tactics with him make it a competition of who finds the most...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
These are some pictures from a river cleanup i volunteered for on the Payette River in Idaho. We hauled many raft loads of trash off the river that day. It was put on by the river ranger Grant Amaral at the district i worked for.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I find it a slightly humorous that when we pick up some of that junk its called clean up (which is awesome - nice job bugz).

When it is found on a developing mining project it is called a cultural artifact and requires a team of people to document the objects, mitigate and clear the area, sometimes collecting them for indefinite storage, or sometimes permanently banning activity. Anything over 50 years old qualifies as a cultural artifact - so the pop cans I dropped when I was a few years younger would qualify.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I used to do it more for sure... thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah on the National Forest anything thought to be 50 yrs or older is considered a cultural artifact. It was always amusing when we would stumble onto a pile of old tin cans when laying out a second growth timber sale from the people who had logged the area in the 1930s-40s. One of the areas that I did Mountain Pine Beetle sale work with a ton of cultural artifacts was Teller City up near Walden CO. Cool place to get to know. Crazy to think of all the people that lived there and how it has all just turned right back into forest. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/tellercity.html

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Thanks Bugz! Fished a couple of times at Chatty this week. Usually don't fish from shore, couldn't believe how much trash was around the North boat ramp/cove area. Having my kids clean up around outside today @ school :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts