Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't make it right. With the new regs and the lakes opening up, as feared I am seeing quite a bit of interest in people bowfishing for pike. Shame on the DOW, and shame on us for letting this happen, shooting spawning fish in 1' of water.... real frickin sporting.

Wonder what these people will think in a couple of years when we are over ran with hammerhandles and you can't find a 30"+ anywhere around.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Selectively targeting trophy fish for disposal at the expense of snakes is a great recipe for a massive population of small hungry pike.

It is funny... there is such a wide range of opinion on what exactly it is that constitutes a "sportsman" :-\

SS

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
IF, there had been a limit put in place it would be different, but to have no limit and allow people to just throw them on the banks to rot is WANTON WASTE OF GAME, which I believe is against the regs ?? ?? But when the state refuses to enforce the regs, what can we do? We can ***** and complain, but the DOW is so anti-pike that nothing will happen under the current dictatorship. This should be a call to arms, time for a revolution !!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've tried to bring this to the attention of some national names that would seem to take an interest in trophy fish like Pike and Macks via email and have gotten very little response and what I got was pretty condescending and supportive of the state because they knew what was best.
Maybe if a hundred people sent emails to In Fisherman, Winkleman, The Linders, Matt Straw there would be some action.
I would love to turn on the TV some Sunday and see the truth being told at least as we see it.
Limits/slots and seasons on things like bow fishing and spearing would be tolerable and could pass as being in the interest of sportsman but this wholesale destruction of trophy fish by our wildlife management agency is beyond reason.
When the big ones are killed off there will likely be a crash with predictable results and blame laid on by the DOW with a big we told you so and subsequent destruction of the entire fishery as they attempt to finish the eradication job and bring it back to their manageable harmony of put and take.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The DOW will never be held accountable, too many sheep that think they know what is best in every situation! The sales of powerbait continue to rise, those people are the ones that want to fish for stockers in every body of water and they outnumber those of us who chase trophy fish by a large margin. If they just look at the number of people, the lawn chair bait dunkers will get the nod because there is more money there. Sure trophy fish guys spend more on fishing than most, but the numbers of people are against us.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waterwolves - what is your point in putting that pic here? I know you didn't shoot them with a bow (you have posted that pic on here before), so? ???

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I like shooting archery and used to shot a lot when I was a kid. I like hunting too and I'd like to bow hunt sometime...that having been said I wouldn't even think of shooting an awesome sport fish like a nice size northern. It's really a shame how much they are hated in this state! If anyone gets a petition for the dow on this issue I'm ready to sign. Or maybe an email with a list of names? Count me in. Send me a pm on here if you want me to sign.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haters? I still don't understand, you had a good day, you kept your limit (10 at the time), so again what is the point of that being in this thread?

The funny thing is, it looks like that kid pissed his pants!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It will not have the same impact on bigger Reservoirs like 11-Mile, Spinney, or Williams Fork, but for smaller reservoirs like Rifle and Harvey it could certainly have a noticable impact for the worse.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The bowfishing clan could put a serious hurt on these small lakes like Crawford and Harvey, gotta be a better way, not exactly sporting.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
the dow is getting exactly what they want. Pike were not introduced into those lakes by the hand of GOD (cdow), so total destruction is their blind goal. Just like another lake I know of, ??? they do not give a flying &&*^&*& what you and I think, as hard as it is to stomach it is best to get over it and look to other areas, my boat is ready to roll to Flaming gorge at first break of good weather. as long as this state has bio's like the one at Blue Mesa and wildlife commissions that do not ask questions, we are going down the toliet fast. Surprising is that the front range bios and warm water guys are sooooo much better, and of course Ewert at Granby seems like a striaght shooter that is willing to look at new ideas. Rifle and Harvey are screwed as far as pike go . a couple of good bowshooters could clean the big girls out in a weekend, no limit!!! I feel your pain :'(

1 - 20 of 47 Posts