Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got one of these interesting little guns for Christmas...anyone have anything to say about them? I know a .25 doesn't have much power, but I do a lot of fishing by myself. Around town, I figure I would be more likely to carry something small and compact than something that I'm going to notice all day, and a gun is only gonna help if I have it on me...

When I go to the mountains, I plan on carrying something heavier like a .40 or .45 (my only other handgun is a 9mm Sig, still not big enough if a bear, moose, or even a deer decides to get frisky lol)

I haven't carried any gun since I don't have my ccw yet, and I would appreciate any questions, comments, and opinions. I'm not new to guns, I have a pretty good amount of experience shooting, mostly with shotguns. I've been shooting handguns more in the last couple years though...

·
Registered
699 Posts
that pistol is a great little defensive pistol with the right loads

now as for carrying in the mountains do your self a favor and get your self a revolver in 38/357 and up
i have been an instructor and competetive shooter aswell as a hunter for many years and you just dont have enough power or penetration with auto loaders a revolver carries a bigger round with a larger powder charge and heavier bullets moving at faster speeds which all lead to deeper penetration.

as an example a 180 grain 40 cal round moving at 1200 fps will penetrate around 6 to 10 inches in a dense strata like a bears chest neck or shoulder where as a 230 grn 357 mag will do closer to 18 to 20 inches in the same strata. most of your guides in alaska will carry nothing smaller that a 45long colt or one of the magnum cartridges be it the 357, 41,44 and 2 guides i know carry the 500 smith snubnose alaskan survival that is sold in a package

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
The only thing I'll say is when you fire the gun make sure the web of your hand between your thumb and your index finger are clear of the slide.

I used to sell them in the 90's. That was the biggest complaint I heard about them. The only small .25 I've owned is a Raven....didn't care for that small of a gun much.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
azbassernco said:

now as for carrying in the mountains do your self a favor and get your self a revolver in 38/357 and up
i have been an instructor and competetive shooter aswell as a hunter for many years and you just dont have enough power or penetration with auto loaders a revolver carries a bigger round with a larger powder charge and heavier bullets moving at faster speeds which all lead to deeper penetration.

as an example a 180 grain 40 cal round moving at 1200 fps will penetrate around 6 to 10 inches in a dense strata like a bears chest neck or shoulder where as a 230 grn 357 mag will do closer to 18 to 20 inches in the same strata. most of your guides in alaska will carry nothing smaller that a 45long colt or one of the magnum cartridges be it the 357, 41,44 and 2 guides i know carry the 500 smith snubnose alaskan survival that is sold in a package
When the time comes, I've been considering a Taurus Judge...I like the fact that I could load up with buckshot and/or .45 rounds. Plus [double action] revolvers are nice because if you do get a misfire, just pull the trigger and your on to the next round.

That Guy said:
The only thing I'll say is when you fire the gun make sure the web of your hand between your thumb and your index finger are clear of the slide.

I used to sell them in the 90's. That was the biggest complaint I heard about them. The only small .25 I've owned is a Raven....didn't care for that small of a gun much.
After reading about this gun online, that's pretty much the only bad thing people have to say about it (besides the fact that its a small caliber.) I have kinda small hands, so hopefully that will help me out a bit lol. I definately don't wanna get bit by it, looks painful!

What kind of rounds would you guys recommend? I already know to stick with full metal jackets, but what about brands, bullet weights, etc?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
azbassernco said:

as an example a 180 grain 40 cal round moving at 1200 fps will

357 with 180 grain hardcast will keep you safe in Colorado. A S&W mountain Gun in 45 Long Colt would be perfect! Or you could get a 44 and just load 44 specials Like these in Colorado.

[url]http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=89]penetrate around 6 to 10 inches in a dense strata like a bears chest neck or shoulder where as a 230 grn 357 mag will do closer to 18 to 20 inches in the same strata. most of your guides in alaska will carry nothing smaller that a 45long colt or one of the magnum cartridges be it the 357, 41,44 and 2 guides i know carry the 500 smith snubnose alaskan survival that is sold in a package
357 with 180 grain hardcast will keep you safe in Colorado. A S&W mountain Gun in 45 Long Colt would be perfect! Or you could get a 44 and just load 44 specials Like these in Colorado.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=89[/url]

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
25. cal will kill anything coming at you, period!!!
just hit it in the right spot!
I walk around most of the time with a little 22.cal revolver, I will take my chances with it, this is not Alaska we don't have brown bears down here yet, or wolves, so your biggest threat would be on two legs ! thats a sick little gun!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
denverbassman said:
25. cal will kill anything coming at you, period!!!
just hit it in the right spot!
I walk around most of the time with a little 22.cal revolver, I will take my chances with it, this is not Alaska we don't have brown bears down here yet, or wolves, so your biggest threat would be on two legs ! thats a sick little gun!
I scared off a Lion when I was 18 with a 22 and was glad I had it!!! It was the sound, not the bullet that worked. I would use a 22 to kill birds and small animals for food, but not as a trail or camp gun?

We still have black bears, lions and wild dogs. A 357 or a 45 is the more logical choice in our mountains if he wants a trail gun! Especially with all the different loads now available to mix and match with!

No one was knocking his Berretta as a pocket gun for self defense! Just giving him some suggestions for a camp or trail gun.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Conrats on the gun!! Ya, when I am backcountry I carry a Ruger Security Six .357 magnum with 230 grain hardcast and I still feel undergunned sometimes.

I think the big question would be do you have the marbles to calmy take a shot if something is coming for you??

Anyway, I dont' know much about your firearm but I hope you enjoy it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts