Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
P I K E
10,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
case you haven't heard Flaming Gorge and Blue Mesa have been ordered to open the gates to aid in the problems down stream at Powell and Mead. So long Lakers and Kokes! Damn drought!

·
P I K E
10,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shouldn't California (lake Mead) have to suffer the drought on their own? Why should we have to supply their water?
Drain the swimming pools in Hollywood.
Mead is the source for electricity for Vegas so guess they have to bail out the Raiders and hookers! 🏉 😎

·
Registered
457 Posts
What bothers me about this is they just voted down a de-salination plant on the California coast, which would have at least put a little dent in the water shortage.

·
P I K E
10,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What bothers me about this is they just voted down a de-salination plant on the California coast, which would have at least put a little dent in the water shortage.
Exactly bud and if I'm not mistaken they have like 6-7 plants closed just sitting!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I work for USBR, all these are reservoirs we operate. I have engineers working on low water solutions at Glen Canyon (Powell) and Hoover (Mead). There's lots of things going on and my team is just providing input, not making decisions. One thing is Hoover and Glen are part of the black start for the grid, so if they can't generate, it is a nation security issue. There's political pressures because Hoover is so visible and politicians hate the look of the bathtub rings at Mead that all the tourists see. There's looking at things like evap rate based on reservoir levels, sedimentation transport, what facilities can we do maintenance/rehab since water is low, water temps in rivers for native fish species, and tons of things I am not involved in or aware of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts