Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new guy to fly fishing, I'm a bit stoked today. My first rod and reel (a redington crosswater combo, 9' 5 wt.) is to be delivered today and I also received from my older bro., who is an avid fly fisher, these three books. They are not new but I'm enjoying them. Also received a knot tying guide.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That rod will do it all! Good purchase.
Thanks Tangler. I heard it was an okay rod to start with so I bought it. Now if I just knew a fraction of what you guys on this forum know...I'd feel a lot better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Thanks Tangler. I heard it was an okay rod to start with so I bought it. Now if I just knew a fraction of what you guys on this forum know...I'd feel a lot better.
I'l take you out and show you all I know..... so it should be a short morning :biggrin1: .

What part of CO are you in? Best way to learn a new type of fishing is making some new homiess who are generous with their time and knowledge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'l take you out and show you all I know..... so it should be a short morning :biggrin1: .

What part of CO are you in? Best way to learn a new type of fishing is making some new homiess who are generous with their time and knowledge.
I live in SW Kansas, Dodge City. I've been going to Colorado for 2 weeks at a time, every summer for 10 yrs. or so. I camp out just south of Leadville, hike, explore and prospect for gold.

Every year I see guys out fly fishing and I've always wanted to give it a go, so here I am, starting to put together fly fishing equipment and trying to learn as much as I can b4 July.

I'll be out there again this year sometime around July 10th.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is there any river/stream fishing in your area; perhaps the Ark??
If so it may be worth your time to learn + practice on your home waters before getting out to CO.

My $0.02 on knots -- at the end of the day I only really use 2 knots; the improved clinch and the double/triple surgeon -- tie on flies with clinch and tippet with surgeon... I'm sure there are uses for others, but I wouldn't get too concerned with knowing tons of knots; your head might start to spin ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any river/stream fishing in your area; perhaps the Ark??
If so it may be worth your time to learn + practice on your home waters before getting out to CO.

My $0.02 on knots -- at the end of the day I only really use 2 knots; the improved clinch and the double/triple surgeon -- tie on flies with clinch and tippet with surgeon... I'm sure there are uses for others, but I wouldn't get too concerned with knowing tons of knots; your head might start to spin ;)
The Ark out here in Dodge is dry as a bone. We do have a few small lakes, which I think would be fun for crappie, sunfish and bass.

I've been practicing casting, who would have thunk that 9' of tapered leader could turn into ball of twisted line so quickly? :embarassed:

I'm with you...I like that surgeon and the clinch knots also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you are willing to drive to Kanopolis Res, the white bass run will soon commence in the Smoky Hill River running into the lake (try small, weighted white Zonkers and Clousers). There are also trout stocked in the river below the lake and that provides decent fishing there. Call the state park office there for information.
Truthfully, it is easier to learn to cast on a lake or pond with a clear area behind you for your backcast when you're not trying to catch fish. Study youtube videos and practice. One of the biggest problems for beginners is underpowering their backcast and/or not waiting for it to straighten behind them. It's helpful to position yourself so that you can watch both your forward cast and backcast. Wait for your line to straighten on both/either before starting your next move.

Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Like Rattman said, watch some youtube videos. Man I wish I had youtube when I learned.. Practicing on grass is a good place to start. You will not be distracted by trying to catch fish while you figure out how to get the fly to the fish. The tangles are most likely due to the combination of a tailing loop and not letting the line straighten out before you start your next cast. Fishing ponds for warmwater is a great way to get familiar with the tackle. It is also alot of fun. I can't wait for warmwater fish to start looking up. Fishing poppers is a blast. Also for practice while you are getting the feel go a bit heavy and short on your leader. It will be more forgiving. try 5-7 1/2 foot to 2x or 3x. Until you get the feel and timing down.
Don't forget to stretch your leader to take all the curl out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts