Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 8 wt not too long ago due to a great price. Living in Colorado, I've been told I'm a bit limited on where to go, and then, on the other hand, I've heard of a few people who mainly rely on their 8 wt. out here for trophy trout. I'm a bit of a novice, so any tips of where to use this huge rod and when would be appreciated.:smile:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Using an 8wt for streamer fishing is great.. not just because you can cast a mile, but you can control the streamer better with a stiffer rod. That said, I am not a fan at all for nymph fishing. Right now, any tailwater can be great with streamers, although you will have to find deep pools and work them slow...

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
8wt is a freekin pool cue-

Ive caught 6lb bows from the north platte on my 3 wt. I have a 5wt that I never use cause its too heavy-

·
Registered
484 Posts
The only reason I would use (and have used) my 8 wt is if I am trying for pike or perhaps somewhere I knew I would be trying to horse largemouth bass out of a lily pad. Otherwise a 5 wt is probably the rod I use 90% of the time. My 3 wt is fun on the smaller creeks and rivers. Probably be just fine on most of the lakes I fish as well. Just happen to like my 5 wt rod the best. Not that it matters but I bought my 8 wt when I lived up in Oregon and fished the Deschutes a lot for steelhead. Not many steelhead in Colorado but some of the pike could certainly but a bend in an 8 wt.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
8 weight would be good on lakes throwing streamers into the wind. On the heavy side for tailwaters and small creeks.

Keep it for windy lake fishing and get a 4-5 weight for the other stuff.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
An 8wt is way overkill for any trout here in Colorado. My opinion of course. I will side with Slaye, 3-4wt can handle most all trout. You might want to jump to a faster 5-6 wt for streamers and heavy nymph fishing. I have 2 Thomas & Thomas Horizon series rods, one 9ft 3wt the other 9.5' 5 wt. Both easily cast like they are 2 wt bigger. the 3wt will handle most nymph fishing and the 5wt will easily handle any streamer fishing. A couple years ago I went to Alaska on a fly fishing trip. I brought my 8wt and my 10wt. The 8wt was mainly all I threw except when Kings were present. Need the 10 for them. The 8wt was great for the Sockeye, Dog and Sliver salmon and the larger Dollys. But almost too much for the Grayling, smaller Dollys, Rainbows and Pinks. That said, there I would rather have too much than not enough. Here, unless you are targeting pike, early season Macks, and maybe bass I would think the 8 is way overkill.
Below is a link to the trip I went on to show you the size of fish the 8wt was handling for reference.
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/73-out-state-fishing/106017-kantektok-river-alaska.html

·
Registered
337 Posts
It might be overkill or trout, but like already mentioned, good for pike. I fly fish for walleye quite a bit and actually use a 9 wt. most of the time for that. The bigger rod is good for my sinking and sink tip lines, and I occasionally pick up a wiper or a carp from time to time. It's nice having the heavier rod for those bigger fish. It's also the rod I use for steelhead and salmon. I have a 7/8 wt. as well, and could use it for the same stuff, but I actually like the 9 wt. better... just a better rod.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
As said before, pike, bass, throwing mice at night, southpark winds are all uses for that big ol stick. I got an 8wt that I use for all my big streamers.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
yep wipers...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Looking at this thread, I would say most would admonish me for building a 9' ONE PIECE 10wt for Colorado.
I'm pretty sure you can find a sports outlet that will sell you a pole for vaulting. No need to build one yourself......

Okay, I'll bite. What ya gunna catch with it?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Folks criticizing big rods for CO fishing are thinking too much about what type of fish it can handle and not enough about casting. It's SO SO nice to have an 8-10 wt when casting a huge fly in the wind.. further, controlling the swim of a large streamer is way easier with a heavy rod. While it's not totally necessary, having a heavy rod is great if you can afford it. My 10wt is used every year for wiper.. during the windiest of days I can use it.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
when I used to fish for trout and steelhead I used a 9 wgt. it was heavy but it caught a lot of 10 inch fish as well as 15 lb steelhead. the only thing that is important in fly fishing is what is on the end of the line. I have caught 6 0z. fish on a steel casting rod and 30 lb line using a 4 lb leader and a 14 hook and a 52 lb fish on a 12 lb leader hooked to a 17 lb line.

in other words you got it, use it and have fun. don't worry about what other people say if you are having fun, so what. I have had a blast using a cane pole, 15 lb line a small hook catching a washtub full on carp. the main thing you are fishing

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
What Oyey said.. not so much what you are fishing for, it is how you want to fish for them.

I have an 8wt with sinking line that I cast big articulated streamers with and it casts great.

I also have a 6wt with a sinking line that does the same job but I don't get the distance like I do with the 8wt or as easily with the 8wt. So 6wt is for smaller rivers/ponds and the 8wt is for larger rivers and lakes.

All this just to catch 16" fish! lol If I'm lucky...

·
Registered
484 Posts
This discussion reminds me of a cartoon drawn by Gene Trump (draws for several of the outdoors magazines). It depicts a fisherman with his caddy carrying a golf bag full of flyrods. Fisherman standing in the water calls for the caddy to hand him his 3 wt.

If you have need of a heavier rod it is nice to have one rather than trying to fight the battle with an under-powered rod fighting wind, big fish, or whatever. I can identify with the above mentioned cartoon as I have several 3 wts, multiple 5 wts, and two 8 wts. Each has it's purpose.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
would like to see that cartoon.

Hammer meet nail!! lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts