Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
The only reason I would use (and have used) my 8 wt is if I am trying for pike or perhaps somewhere I knew I would be trying to horse largemouth bass out of a lily pad. Otherwise a 5 wt is probably the rod I use 90% of the time. My 3 wt is fun on the smaller creeks and rivers. Probably be just fine on most of the lakes I fish as well. Just happen to like my 5 wt rod the best. Not that it matters but I bought my 8 wt when I lived up in Oregon and fished the Deschutes a lot for steelhead. Not many steelhead in Colorado but some of the pike could certainly but a bend in an 8 wt.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
496 Posts
This discussion reminds me of a cartoon drawn by Gene Trump (draws for several of the outdoors magazines). It depicts a fisherman with his caddy carrying a golf bag full of flyrods. Fisherman standing in the water calls for the caddy to hand him his 3 wt.

If you have need of a heavier rod it is nice to have one rather than trying to fight the battle with an under-powered rod fighting wind, big fish, or whatever. I can identify with the above mentioned cartoon as I have several 3 wts, multiple 5 wts, and two 8 wts. Each has it's purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.