Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you tip your jig with some form of bait? I did a little test on a nearby reservoir. My baitless jig wasn't far behind my baited one but this was all trout. I'm also wondering if the shrimp didn't attract the fish I caught on the baitless tube seeing as how they were maybe 4' apart. Lol

This year I'm using some silver salmon I still have from Alaska for Lakers. I didn't freeze any sucker last summer. Next year I'll use Kokanee. Lol So far I'm lakerless but did manage to hook a beast but lost it. Lots of chases on the sonar. Key word "chases". They chase, stop, back down....chase, stop, back down... disappear. Maybe a 5" swim bait/ tube are too big? Not my experience but I'll try downsizing this week. Any other suggestions?

If it wasn't for the winter storm, I'd be headed to BM in 5 hours. Looks like it'll have to wait until mid week. Sucks. I wanted to hit it during low pressure but the highway will be beyond horrible.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
Try a blade bait for those lakers. No bait.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
For active feeding fish either way will get 'em... when neutral slow w/bait can make the difference.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Slabseeker, you probably know it's illegal to use any game fish or parts there of for bait. The silver salmon would be hard to prove to the Game Warden that it came from out of state, just saying. I've heard of using tilapia for cutbait to catch lakers and that would be OK as they are not a game fish in this state.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
non tipped blade baits work great for lakers, its a reaction bite so you really want to rip them, try it I did a couple years ago when I couldn't catch squat on tube jigs

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[
Slabseeker, you probably know it's illegal to use any game fish or parts there of for bait. The silver salmon would be hard to prove to the Game Warden that it came from out of state, just saying. I've heard of using tilapia for cutbait to catch lakers and that would be OK as they are not a game fish in this state.
The kokanee comment was a joke. I say that because CPW started a war against Lakers because they jump to conclusions. The fact gill lice are horrible on Kokanee populations took a couple of years for them to acknowledge but be darned if a Laker or Pike will get in their way of Kokanee hatchery jobs. Self Serving Department of People and Poor Money Management, that's what CPW stands for.

To clarify your game species as bait.
2020 regs:

e. The only species allowed to be taken and used for personal use as bait
(either alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are
minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin,
white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide
bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow perch.

Has nothing to do with game fish. Also, silver salmon, as you noted, is not a regulated fish in Colorado; wouldn't suprise me if they didn't think so. This is going to be an individual LEO interpretation, just like I've seen on measuring brow tine length for a legal bull.

Frankly, I don't know a single officer that would issue such a ticket. Bet they would if they found out it was a Kokanee. LMAO

Almost time to put up the ice gear and start casting the fly rod. The T-rex midge and BWO hatch is just around the corner!!!!

Fish on anglers!

SS

·
Registered
36 Posts
So if I read this right, it is okay to trap fathead minnows in Vega and use them as bait in any of the Grand Mesa lakes?
I thought the CDPW considered fatheads to be invasive??

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I read this right, it is okay to trap fathead minnows in Vega and use them as bait in any of the Grand Mesa lakes?
I thought the CDPW considered fatheads to be invasive??
I am not an authority on the subject. I'd download the regs and read them. Then call CPW and ask them. I bet you'll get a "Hold on, I'll ask". Then talk with with the area's CPW officer to get their answer. That's the one that matters as they're the ones that write citations. Lol

Frankly, if all the fish are dead and not sitting in an aerator, why should CPW care? The Mesa is managed as a put and take fishery, BM they declared war on Lakers, Spinney/11 Mile it's war on pike, Rifle/Harvey it's walleye and pike, ( list goes on and on). So what's the point with these types of regs? IMO, CPW is managing you, not the fishery.

SS

·
Registered
428 Posts
CPW regs are confusing. I agree with talking to a local CPW officer for any questions that need answered. Calling the office and getting someone at a desk has always been a fail for me. That said I agree with SlabSeeker. Im putting my ice stuff away this weekend and just tying flies to pass the time for the next few weeks. March is just around the corner :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts