Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to the river to stock up on laker bait and all I caught was this thing!

Not a bad view

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
carp works just as good as suckers. just fillet and dice up the meat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carp works just as good as suckers. just fillet and dice up the meat.
I've only ever had luck using it for catfish, you have to scale it though. 2×4" strips, when you scake it the skin will flap and flicker. Catfish love it, its not oily enough for laker bait.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I disagree. Walleye is not exactly oily, and I have caught seven kinds of hell out of lakers on walleye.

Don't ask how that happened, it was not my idea. lol

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome - I've been wanting to catch one of them beasts on the fly. What were you using, if you don't mind me asking?
I caught this one in a night crawler. I don't ever target them unless I'm flinging arrows at them (they make great fertilizer). I have caught a few on the fly rod, its a blast. Surprisingly hard to catch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Awesome man, I have some friends that live out there on the roaring fork and we shoot a lot ducks too. I like shooting those late season goldeneyes, they are like little jet fighters...always hear them before you see them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats awesome that river runs through your property! Any things in there except carp and suckers?
Around rifle the river has some nice trout, it has whitefish, they are pretty fun to catch, and in some areas, I forget what they are called but they are very aggressive and annoying, because there are way too many and are always on the hook.

Anyway much of the water is off of or through private property so areas don't get the pressure like say the fryingpan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awesome - I've been wanting to catch one of them beasts on the fly. What were you using, if you don't mind me asking?
Black flies around 2 3 inches with a little silver tinsel seems ok. Usually early early spring on lakes they take them moreso than summer. I use black twister tails on a jig. They love canned corn. Could cast out on a flyrod and let it sit and watch for the line to move a bit and there you go. Carp are tough competitors.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Around rifle the river has some nice trout, it has whitefish, they are pretty fun to catch, and in some areas.
I've lived on the river between Silt and Rifle all my life, have probably fished 1000+ hours on it and have only seen one white fish below New Castle. I've caught a ton of them at Canyon Creek to Glenwood and up the Fork. Water temps get to high west of New Castle, so I've been told.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts