Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a fly rod (thanks to farmer ted) and was wondering..... Does anyone use those 3M L2L line to leader connectors? I have been checking out books at the library that show nail knots and loop nots. Anyone have a preference? Do they work well? ect......

Thanks,
Pondfisher

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use them, they are great. You can attach a leader in a couple seconds and be fishing. At the fly fishing expo this year they had a product out called the reconnect, which I havent found at the stores yet. But its the same leader system that twists and locks in so you can switch your leaders on and off and keep them reusable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't used them, but I'm interested to see what other people think. Along those lines, how about those tiny clips that I've seen to clip a fly on with? Anyone try those? For those that haven't seen them, they are just a little (maybe 1/8 inch or so) clip that you can snap a fly into. They tie permananenty onto your tippet. Seems like a good idea, in theory, for anyone who doesn't want to/like to tie a knot for each fly change.

Sorry to go a little OT...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Pondfisher I think I know what you are talking about. I never used them. I just have the guys at the fly shop add a loop on to my flyline. Then I use the tapered leaders with the loop at the end.

Did you get that fly rod to go after all them fish in riverband ponds? If so we should meet up there when it warms up. I'm new to fly fishing for bass as well. I'm new to bass in general but that is another post.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I use a nail knot to connect my line to the leader. As for the hook clips i have some that someone gave me but have never used them . I just think they would make the fly heavy and would not float as good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've looked at them, but don't like them. They limit your flexability in choosing a leader. A loop to loop connection is super easy to use, and can be used with any type of leader-- so why bother with a gimick?

All of my fly lines have a 1 foot section of red, hard mono on them tied with a nail not. The end of the mono has a loop, tied with a perfection knot. Most leaders have a loop w/perfection knot in them too, but tying your own loop is easy. Changing from one leader to another is quick and simple.

You would think that a loop to loop connection would "hinge" when casting, but suprisingly enough it doesn't. At least, when using the hard mono it doesn't. When you put the leader on you stretch the leader to straighten out all the loops. This "moulds" the hard mono around the leader and makes a non-hinging connection. It's hard to explain until you've seen it.

The red hard mono also functions as sort of a strike indicator when you're not using one of those floating, bobber-like indicators.

As Hatchmaster said, most fly shops will add this type of loop for you (for free, even). But it is easy to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The red hard mono also functions as sort of a strike indicator when you're not using one of those floating, bobber-like indicators.
I really wanted to be the first one to make a joke but I have nothing!

Alright windknot you take it from here! ;D ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have to agree with DavidK on this one.  I use a 1-foot section of Amnesia(non-memory mono) and attach it to the fly line with a nail knot.  I also like to add a couple of drops of Zap-A-Gap to the nail knot to try and seal the fly line. 

Once you get use to tying the perfection loops you can change out leaders very easily.  Plus the mono acts like a great strike indicator as well. 

Here is what it looks like:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys have givin me some good ideas.  I think I will give those L2L connections a try but I also plan to practice the nail knot and perfection loop at home.   The perfection loop does seem pretty simple.... my only problem is that often when i tie knots I use up alot of line in the process...I will go through a spool of tippet in a week!!!

And Hatchmaster...thats sounds like a great idea!  I have a few poppers, wooly buggers, and streamers from last season that I never used (castin bubble and spinning gear).  I think those would really do well with crappie, bluegill, and bass.  The flyrod I purchased from Farmer Ted is a 5 weight....not sure if that is enough to dance with bass though.....Ill PM ya when this damn ice melts!!!!

Pondfisher

1 - 9 of 9 Posts