Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've taken the advice of many of you and switched to 6 lb. line, and it has helped my casts 100 fold. Now I have some more questions.

I've been using 1/8 oz. gold for the most part. What's the best way to reel them in and also hook and play the fish if you get a hit? I think I've gotten more hits than I realize and just haven't been able to hook the fish, and I also think that I could get a lot more hits if I was retrieving correctly. I read somewhere on here that using a swivel kills the action of the Kastmaster, so I tie directly to the line. I've tried reeling fast, slow, 3 reels and a pause, fast then slow, and so on. What's the best way you have found?

Also this morning, I lost my 1/4 oz. lure. I tied it onto the 6 lb. line, and when I went to cast the lure disappeared. I didn't see it hit the water, so I'm guessing that it snapped of on my back motion. Is that lure too heavy for the line, or did I just tie a bad knot?

Thanks for all the help fellas.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
That castmaster you snapped off your line probably went a good quarter mile or better....you need to start watching those bass guys on TV and use some of their techniques with other lures. I'm a huge fan of burning 15 yards of line in the middle of my retrieve, gets mucho lotsa reaction strikes.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
IN the middle of your working the lure back in, crank that reel faster for a short distance, it acts like a fleeing baitfish and may elicit a reaction strike from a fish that wouldn't give your normal lure tempo the time of day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
6lb should be plenty to throw a 1/4 kasty, my guess is that your line got a nick in it from a rock or something and snapped. Its a good idea when using light line to check your line for abrasions every half hour or so, or any time you get snagged up.

Any and all of the retrieves you've listed will work well with a kastmaster. For me, the first fish is always the hardest on a new lure, after that the confidence factor goes up and seems to draw the fish in. Good luck, keep at it.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Whats your rod/reel rated for? 6 lb line is about ideal for a 1/8 oz kastie at most. 1/8 ounce shouldn't be snapping off either. It's all in the knot and with a 1/8 ounce kastmaster, you should be casting it pretty far.

When trout fishing I'll use a 1/4 ounce kastmaster all the time. They have the best action in my opinion. Whether you let em sink or not, they seem to be about right. Of course if you are fishing for stocker sized or smaller trout, you'll want something a little smaller like 1/8...

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
If you want to get on some fish quicker.....get yourself some tazmanian devils....in firetiger color, they catch more fish in one outting than a kastmaster catches for me in a year. Kasties have their place, but thomas bouyants and tazzy devils are my go-to's.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I have yet to catch a freekin fish on those stinking Tasmanian Devils. They suck in my humble opinion. ;D Kasty is god.
I've used both, a lot. But gotta agree that Kastmasters work better for trout. But, both will catch plenty.

Caught every single one of these fish on 7.1 at Antero using a 1/4 ounce kastie.

Sorry for dupes. Tossed tazmanian devils that day, and didn't catch squat on those. But, it's trout fishing. Not exactly rocket science. :D :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies guys. Definitely gives me some confidence in what I'm doing out there. Now that I've lost my gold 1/4 oz., I have a silver one left in my tackle box. Does color really matter?

As for the Tazmanian Devils, I can't find them anywhere. Anyone know of somewhere I can get my hands on some? Slayer, if you don't want yours, I'd be happy to buy them from you.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
ScottN said:
As for the Tazmanian Devils, I can't find them anywhere. Anyone know of somewhere I can get my hands on some? Slayer, if you don't want yours, I'd be happy to buy them from you.
sportsmans had a few the other day.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
ScottN said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Definitely gives me some confidence in what I'm doing out there. Now that I've lost my gold 1/4 oz., I have a silver one left in my tackle box. Does color really matter?

Scott, if we ever meet up I will give them to you.

ScottN said:
Oh yeah, and what about swivels? Do you guys use snaps on these, or just tie them straight to the line?

I will not use swivels. If you work the kasty properly it will not twist the line. Reel and stop, reel and stop. The kasty spins one way on the reel and spins the other way on the drop. So no twist.

Also a good method for working kastys in deep water is to let them sink a long way then jig them back to you. Jig,jig,jig, let sink some then jig,jig, etc. If you try jigging while using snap swivels the line will constantly "catch" itself. Not good.

Color most certainly matters. Gold with the gold prism tape is my go to these days. Second is silver/1/2 orange. 1/4 oz is all I use. Except in the ocean then I use 3/4 or 1 oz.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Slayer. Where are you located at? I'm kind of looking for a "mentor" as well. I'm willing to drive to come get them as well, I just can't seem to find any. Sportsman's was sold out and said they were back ordered for an unknown amount of time.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discount Fishing on Sante Fe usually has tazies. You can also buy them on e-bay. I like 'em a lot for trolling.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I have yet to catch a freekin fish on those stinking Tasmanian Devils. They suck in my humble opinion. ;D Kasty is god.
I couldnt agree more Mike...however I know Zelinsky catches unbelievable eyes and trout on Taz's...must be the Z!... ;D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
No swivel...unless you are trolling them...

Like Slayer said...snap jig them back...there is a reason that Cutthroats went extinct in colorado first...they cannot resist a snap jigged gold kasty...

I use 1/4 ouncers on 4 pound line...6 should be ok too...I dont like 1/8 ounce unless I am ice fishing...too small and not as much feel...and I think 1/8 ounce is definately too light for 6 pound test...like jig fishing you need to be able to either see your line move or feel the the hit...

It sounds like your knot came untied on your back cast...clinch knot or improved clinch knot?...

Glad your casts have improved...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts