Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, is anyone using a Deeper or similar fish finder with success on a kayak? I got one for the wife last summer and she was mostly frustrated by it. I got a wifi model because Bluetooth is the worst thing in the world but the thing is just cumbersome to use. Between trying to hold the phone, keep connected, keep charged and keep it all dry it's just too much and mostly made her mad. Do you have a setup you like for a phone/tablet connected fish finder?

Related, what's the least one can spend and get a good all in one for a kayak? Seems like the $100 options are pretty poor. Can I get something she will be happy to use for $200 with good maps and easy use in 2-30 feet of water?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Somewhat off topic but since you're a landlubber... have you tried having your wife paddle the Deeper around while you are on shore with the phone or tablet getting the detail?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somewhat off topic but since you're a landlubber... have you tried having your wife paddle the Deeper around while you are on shore with the phone or tablet getting the detail?
No. I have hooked it to a longer line and hurled it. And also tried it on ice. Pretty good for ice but holding the phone and keeping it warm is still an issue. They say it is cast able....I say that is crap unless you have 60lb line and an ultra heavy rod dedicated to the task.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Batteries have lasted more than a day for me. I haven't had any issues with either set up.

Still learning the mapping part. But there are lots of helpful sites for that as well as knowledgeable peeps on here.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the transducer built in or something you can drape over the edge? She's got an inflatable kayak now, deciding on canoe/other kayak this summer

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Is the transducer built in or something you can drape over the edge? She's got an inflatable kayak now, deciding on canoe/other kayak this summer
My kayak is a solid body type and I am able to drill and mount items to it. So I can't help you much there other to say check out some of the DIY or Kayak Sites on the web. There are bound to be some ideas how to mount them on there. GL

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
For the inflatable you might want to get a portable unit.

You can buy a portable pack for ~$100 but it'd be cheaper to buy it all together.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My kayak is a solid body type and I am able to drill and mount items to it. So I can't help you much there other to say check out some of the DIY or Kayak Sites on the web. There are bound to be some ideas how to mount them on there. GL
how do you have your 12v battery mounted/protected?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Fish finder mounts are ridiculously expensive on their site. You can build a battery enclosure for like $15-20. Check youtube for how to videos.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
An inflatible...can you use a ratcheting strap around the kayak with the transducer?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
No, sorry, I'm saying it's ridiculous to sell a battery, enclosure and "everything you need all in one" and no charger.
I think that falls under the Dept of Energy and the moron from Texass that heads it...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts