·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
http://www.fryingpananglers.com/archive-essays/articles/Legal-comments-on-Floating-Colorado-rivers/The-legalities-of-Floating-on-Colorado-waters.htm

The general perception of the right to float in Colorado over private land is as follows:​
1. A titled landowner owns all of the land from the bank to the land under the river.​
2. The water is public and cannot be owned by the landowner.​
3. Provided a raft or craft floats over the river without touching the sides or the bottom of the river there is no trespass.​
4. If a raft or boat is brought to rest by touching the bank or the bottom of the river either itself or by means of a rope or anchor, that constitutes a trespass.​
5. If a person leaves a raft or boat for whatever reason (except in the case of an emergency) and touches the bottom or the bank that is a trespass.​
6. A craft may remain stationary in an eddy for as long as it may provided it does not touch the bottom or the bank.​
This is the general view on the law and is the advisable approach to take to avoid conflict.​
However, it is not in fact correct.

If I take this interpretation, my question is river access adjacent to public bridges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The safest approach to follow when floating through private land is to not touch anything except for the water. The land under the water, vegitation hanging over the water, even a wire strung across the river are all considered private. If you come into contact with them for whatever reason, you are trespassing. Colorado and Wyoming have this view on river access, which is a different than many other western states where the land is public to the high water mark. So, if you're trying to access the water from a public bridge, you'll have to get from the bridge to the water without touching the owners land - i.e. you'll have to jump ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can float from the dam all the way down to about I-25, but be cognizant of where you can take out a boat. Also, check flows before you go, it's been chaotic lately...Downstream of the city I doubt you could do it without trespassing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts