Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of a boat, for now, I'm thinking about settling on a kayak just only thing is which would be better sit in or sit on top kayak I figured sit on top would be easier and more versatile when fishing on the water, any opinions??

·
Registered
902 Posts
I like sots. They get you a lil more wet but its warm in pueblo. I'm always down to let someone try one of the yaks I have. Hobbies are the way to go IMO. But they cost as much as a lil boat.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
A Personal Pontoon could be another option for you as well... I just got 1 this year and have only had it out once. But really like it so far!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen the hobbies nice very very nice but so expensive I'd rather buy a little boat and patoons are cool too but so much to move around and a kayak would fit on the top of my car easier haha

·
Registered
592 Posts
Diablo and Native make some nice kayaks, I've been shopping around a bit for one...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 10' sit in kayak. I thought it would be perfect. I don't have any storage space for a boat and knew I would be moving three times in 4 years. So what else would be more perfect than a kayak? Well I hate it! It is just not for me. I feel helpless sitting down and trying to set the hook. If I could do it all over again I would get a small jon boat and lock it in the bed of my truck. That is how much I hate the kayak. If I had to get a kayak I would get the widest and longest kayak my storage space would allow and I would be able to stand up on it. I believe Jackson kayak make some nice platforms that you can stand up on. Good luck get a boat.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I use a 17 foot canoe. Its less then 50 pounds and rides on top of my Mini Van.
I'd like a Kayak for some situations but the weight would make me buy a trailer to haul and store it.
Since your in Pueblo i'd strongly suggest a inflatable pontoon. Then you can fish Valco ponds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kayak fishing is great! Along with the boats mentioned, check out the Jackson Kayaks. They have some great fishing rights, and I have a Jackson Big Rig myself.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Kayaks on top of cars isn't very safe. I have had a few fall off the top of SUVs before. I learned to trailer my yaks before buying hobies. I have two hobbies because they are that sweet. You could get the best yak out there or a crummy boat for the money. I have a bass tracker that I have never used since moving out here. I also have canoes as well. To be honest I've been fishing the canoe more than my hobie this year. That because its hard to go trolling speed for certain lures I like in my hobie vs using a trolling motor on the canoe. This summer I'm getting a 20 pounder in the hobie. Plus its easier to stay dry in a canoe which is import fishing ice out Lakers. I feel safer on the hobie in rough conditions. Ive been out in the afternoon at spinney with white caps and didn't get nervous and I hate swimming in cold water.

I wish I didn't buy my ghetto sots and saved up for the hobbies. The old sots just sit in the back yard as they get you pretty wet inevitably. Did I say paddling with hands sucks if you like catching fish? Kinda hard to get a hook set when a stupid paddles in your hand. I've watched so many fish hit and miss because I was paddling and couldn't get a hook set.

I knocked my pole out the pole holder one time in rough weather with the paddle. Didn't notice till I looked to see if I was getting a bite and there was no pole there. Luckily I had a float rapala on and could pull all my line up to get the pole back. To my luck the bail was open to let line out for trolling. So it took me what felt like an eternity to pull all the line up because I would get swept back to shore by the white caps. This all happened while my gf took cover in a cove without my knowledge. I thought she capsized till I saw here waving at me on shore.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am not OP but I am not deterred by lvriders post. I started looking into kayaks the other night. I like the simplicity and ruggedness of them. Also the price is fantastic. I was actually about to start a thread on this very topic but noticed this thread just in time!

I am looking at some cheap ~$600.00 sit on top model. I could strap it to the roof of my car and get out on some local waters with it a bit. I would probably mix up fly fishing and spincasting for bass, lake trout, and eyes... Looks like a great and affordable way to get on the water! I do not like the idea of inflatables. While portable I simply don't like the idea that it could pop. The ruggedness of the kayak is really appealing to me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i dont think you can stand on any kayaks that are under $1000. my hobies over a 100 pounds and wouldnt be fun putting on top of the car solo plus you have to worry about weight capacity of the top of your car. i would just say try them out before buying. i have plenty of boats to share if you wanna test em out. hobies are where its at.... if you are on fb check out the hobie kayak club. they post tons of pics and everyone loves em. one dude said he put 5000 miles on his mirage drive before replacing them. I can stand and cast in 2 foot waves... fly fishing would suck sitting down i think....

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
We used a guide who had some SOT, Ocean Kayak brand Kayaks while in Florida, They were really popular around the Fort Meyers area.
Compared to my 50 lbs,17 foot Winona expedition canoe, they were harder to paddle at speed, the scupper holes made your fanny wet. My canoe has more options for placing rod holders. The single hull allows me to shoot a sonar through the hull, so it does not get hung up on weeds or fighting a fish.
The Kayak was stable in a barge like way. it was fun to fish from and easy to put on the trailer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it depends on where you plan to use it. On the lakes I fish, when the wind comes up and the whitecaps start, I"m always glad I'm in my pontoon boat rather than a kayak.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'm wanting to get a couple decent kayaks to haul on top of my boat in AK to access the shoreline easier, I have a raft but its a lot of work taking it on and off, there was a guy up there from Co. fishing fly in waters with an inflatable stand up kayak.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
jesusjuice - check out the NuCanoe for stability

I fish with two rods (one in each hand) using a drift sock all the time and have $ to spare by not purchasing the more expensive yaks. The others are good but with some creativity you can do anything you want in Nu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kayak? Yes!

Hi All,
Brand new to the forum, in fact this topic inspired me to join.
I own a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100, and I absolutely love fishing from my kayak.
I bought this kayak on sale for $500 about 4 years ago. (It was brand new, a last year's model closeout.)
I was living in Southwestern Virginia at the time, and fishing mostly on the New River 3-4 times a week. The New is a big, wide, warm river that just teems with BIG smallmouth bass. The Tarpon 100 was the perfect weapon for this water. At 10', the kayak is light, super maneuverable, and well equipped to fish from.
I would usually paddle upstream for 2-3 miles, and fish my way back. Great workout, and super stealthy approach on the hardest to reach honey holes.
I caught 3 VA citation smallies(20" +)while out there, all from my kayak. I knew guys that had fished that river their whole lives and never caught any citations. I had to attribute this to the kayak.
Now, i do realize Colorado fishing is vastly different than the big warm rivers back there, but I did get out on McPhee Reservoir last season, and found that the kayak still has a lot of advantages over most boats. I was able to paddle deep into coves that were too shallow for boats, and able to fish inside brushy areas that were inaccessible to boaters.
I don't think the kayak is as well suited to CO rivers, but it is fully capable of navigating easier class 2-3 water without too much difficulty. I plan on floating the San Juan this year, and maybe the lower Dolores if conditions permit.
A longer yak would be better suited if you just fish lakes, but I still love my little 10' boat. It does have a few disadvantages, namely, at 10' it is not as fast as a longer yak, and it is virtually impossible to stand up in, but there are plenty of kayaks available now that are well suited to standing in.
One other nice advantage is the kayak can go out on the "no-wake" lakes.
So...there's my take on kayak fishing. Hope I was able to provide some valuable opinion.
Scott

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Native Watercraft Slayer with Propel

I bought a Slayer Propel 13, first buy a trailer to haul it.

Compared to my canoe its easier to pedal the prop them paddle and fish. I can literally make a canned Kippers and bread sandwich while pedaling. The left hand steering lever works great. Having instant reverse is great.
The SOT Kayak is wetter then my 17 foot canoe, but this is just fine at Pueblo and most summer lakes.
The seat adjustment on the Slayer is excellent with my gimpy body. Budget more $ for rod holders and sonar. Its easier to get in and out of.
The down side is my bags of fishing gear get wet in the Kayak with the scupper holes open, while they stay dry in the canoe. I just need to organize stuff differently.
I highly caution anyone from renting a unit from Pikes Peak Outfitter, We had the pedal drive fall off the kayak while it was in the mounts, while going to rampart. we continued to use the unit at Rampart as it functioned fine, Wife and Son and I had a good time with the pedal drive.
Pikes Peak Outfitter decided to take our entire $550.00 deposit on less then $150.00 worth of mainly cosmetic damage on a rental unit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts