Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally decided (after much debate and window shopping) on purchasing a Old Town Predator XL with a Minn Kota motor system. With that said; using the trolling motor will minimize the need for paddling, but I still need a decent paddle just in case the trolling motor dies while I'm out :embarassed:

For those of you who use yaks; which paddle is a good (not to expensive) one to purchase and from where?

Special thanks to Hobie for all of the insight and help you've given me in making this decision.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diesel. Gonna make the order in the next day or two. I'll check out Dicks, I have to get the fish finder there anyway.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Definitely get a decent paddle. Save the battery for hands free fishing..and cruise from spot to spot with the paddle. If you're like me..ten to twelve hour days can be the norm.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

My better half not only approved of my want to purchase the kayak; she is giving me half the money for my Father's Day gift (now I have some extra coinage to spend on the cool stuff :thumb::thumb::thumb:).

After speaking with the dealership in Texas I was told it should arrive on my doorstep in 7-10 business days (kinda like waiting for Christmas day as a kid).

I found a jetski trailer that will work perfect with a little modification for $400 on CL so I won't even have to carry it unless I want to. :biggrin1:

Checklist:
Happy Wife-check
Freedom to fish where I want and ability to mobilize easily-check
Time to Fish- Perks of being self-employed
Reasonable Price-check (about a $1000 cheaper than the Hobie and has a built in trolling motor)
Extra Money to spend on goodies- DOUBLE BONUS!!!!!

Thanks to a certain individual I was able to find the perfect fish finder for about $100 and a good rod holder for under $25. Now all that's left is to get a good Marine battery.

Thanks to all here that have helped and inspired a lifelong dream- To own my first new fishing vessel that wasn't inflatable. This forum and the members here are a good group of people that I am proud to be part of.

Ninja (No Longer Grumpy if someone can assist me in changing my handle I would appreciate it)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an Aquabound Stingray Hybrid paddle. They are a great paddle for a good price. They are owned by the same company as Bending Branches, which are well regarded in the kayak fishing community.
Steep And Cheap usually runs good deals on kayak paddles. Right now they have the full carbon Aquabound paddles listed for $122 (normally $189). That sale is going on through tomorrow. With the Predator XL, Im thinking youll want to probably get a 250cm or longer paddle. I use a 250, and my kayak is about 1” skinnier than the XL.
Join the Colorado Kayak Fishing Club on Facebook, and come out to our tournaments. Just leave the Minn-kota console at home, we do not allow motors in our tournaments due to the insurance plan.

What Fish Finder are you putting on it?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Fish Finder are you putting on it?
Freestone 303 I purchased a Lowrance Elite 3x. Thanks for the feedback and the invite, but I'll pass on Facebook (been there done that). I would be interested in joining the club if I didn't have to do the Facebook thing.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the Yak. Shipped out yesterday (now the wait begins). :thumb::thumb:

Picked up my jetski trailer Friday for $400. Practically new bunks that will adjust just fine to the width of the yak; so no need for modification. Only have to replace one cracked light cover.

Now its off to the stores to find the final items (paddle, PFD that isn't bulky, whistle and all that jazz). Might even splurge on some new lures..... Not that I don't have enough LMAO.

Thinking of naming it "Dream Fulfilled "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts