Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks

I am thinking about getting a kayak for fishing, I searched and I see on this site that there are a few people are using them. I thought about a canoe but since it would only be me going I think a kayak would me more managable.

So what kind of kayak's are people using? I see there are two basic types, those that you sit on top of and those that you sit in. Right now I am leaning to something that you sit in because I think you would stay drier that way, but I am open for suggestions.

How stable are they? I would really hate to tip it over and loose all my fishing gear.

How do you get in the things? Maybe a stupid question, but I'm not sure I get it.

How well do they handle the swells that come up sometimes pretty quickly here in the afternoons?

It would be used mostly for places like Quincy, at least to start with.

I have a regular boat I can take out when there is more than just me going, but I can't get it in and out of my pickup by myself, at least not at the ramps at Quincy.

I was thinking about something like this:
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/huntingFishing/predator_k111.html

So give me your opinions and ideas.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Get a sit on top-much easier to fish out of. I love mine, its stable, not the driest ride in the world but OK. I fish out of it year round and wear a neoprene wader when the water is below 60. I've never lost anything out of it-the key is to downsize all your equipment. I take just one rod, a small bag with all my lures and I've got a fishfinder and put the transducer down the scupper hole and it works great.

Invest in one of those collapsible anchors-they work great. Just a great way to fish the smaller ponds and lakes around here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife & daughter each have an Old Town Loon 138 kayak.  They put floatation bags in them Saturday & took them out on Union.  Even with the wind blowing whitecaps, they said the addition of the floatation bags made the already very stable kayak much more solid.  They said they would have had to work at it to flip them.

-Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
check out this site for pictures of ocean fishing kayaks. I have a friend who fishes from these and says they are real stable. They are basic sit a top kayaks with a lot of home made modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts