Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sizes of trout are usally good for eating? Ive read that the smaller ones (12 inches) are good while the older and larger trout may have more toxins due to its time in the water. Any opinions? I plan to take some trout home for the first time and was just curious...

Pondfisher

F

·
0 Posts
10-12 inches is perfect. They fit nice on a frying pan and clean up real nice. Depending on the time of year some of the larger fish have really mushy meat and it doesnt taste well at all. Not to mention they have eluded anglers for years and deserve to be let go. I keep maybe one or two big fish a year and they end up on my wall. (I know some of you are huge catch and release fans that dig fiberglass replica's I just prefer the real thing...so don't thread bust...hahahha). Those small trout taste great and are alot easier to clean. Few fish fry up better then a small brook trout.

·
Registered
174 Posts
small trout (less than 30", just kidding less than 12") are great for frying in butter, your favorite seasoned salt, and a few onion slices. Large trout are perfect for baking. I prefer large red-meated lake caught trout for this. The red meat indicates the fat content and overall health of the fish. I've found that in lakes, redish-pink ventral fins indicate good meat quality, and cutbows are most likely to have red meat than straight rainbows. The very minimum requirement for hopes of keeping a red-meat fish is to make sure all the fins are long and squared off, not short and blunt which indicates a fresh "stockerr". Clean and skin your trout, sprinkle garlic powder, pepper, seasoned salt, throw on some onion slices, bacon, and brown sugar, wrap it up in tin foil and bake it at 400 for 40 minutes - mmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.. looking forward to baking a few browns for dinner this weekend!!! Apparently, all I catch is "keeper" size trout!!!!! :-[

Pondfisher

·
Registered
174 Posts
hey man, "keeper" sized trout can be the best eating, it's the "stockers" that are tough to choke down. Sometimes I specifically target small fish to accomodate the recipe of the evening. Nothing wrong with that ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts