Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to fish this lake by my house for cats but the crawdads keep eating my bait! I have been using whole dead shiners. Sometimes I get my bait back in and it is a head and nothing but bones and tail> (lol). Catman do you fish live bait on the bottom? I was thinking of trying this.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If you have that many crawdads I can make a pretty good guess what the cats are eating!

How about putting your bait a foot or so off the bottom by using a slip bobber. The dads probably won't be able to get to it.

W. E.

G

·
I love live bait on the bottom. I rig up a standard slip rig with a 12" tag line and the hook so the bait can swim around. No hits? Just put a longer tag line on, say 18 or 20 inches. Keep doing this and it should pay off.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
so this is fishing on the bottom of the water
but your hooking the fish on the top of the body
does it have any problem swimming

G

·
No because generally the hook falls to the side of the fish and it goes in circles. Teasing cats are really fun! But if you prefer you can also hook them through the top or bottom of the tail. They just don't struggle as much.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
flies4life said:
I've been trying to fish this lake by my house for cats but the crawdads keep eating my bait! I have been using whole dead shiners. Sometimes I get my bait back in and it is a head and nothing but bones and tail> (lol). Catman do you fish live bait on the bottom? I was thinking of trying this.
There are a couple ways to keep the bait off the bottom away from the crawdads... they make these cork floats you can put between your hook and your weight and it will hold the shiners off the bottom for you.
You can dropshot which would be putting the weight below your hook and then the weight hits the bottom and your bait sets up your line a ways.
You can just use a big bobber and set the depth you want and let it sit out there.

Im throw this one in just incase someone else is reading and is using worms and wondering the same... you can use a syringe and shoot air into your worm and this will make it float.
Or you can use a floating jig head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts