Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easy to get caught up in all the new fancy lures and baits and after countless outings trying to figure out what flashy new thing to use I started to "Thin Out The Stock" and simplify things like I used to before I stopped fishing eight years ago.

Recently I have had the pleasure of fishing with a member here who I will refer to as "Dano" and another fella "J" whom I teamed up with dinking around for bass with tube jigs on a some local lakes & ponds. Both brought back the old memories of fishing the way I use to. THANKS fellas, you both reminded me of something important-some lures just catch fish and others just catch fishermen.

While I have pics of my outings with "Dano"; I will say we had a blast both times we went out and caught some nice fat Elevenmile rainbow trolling out of his boat using a simple technique that worked for me years ago when the weeds get thick and the fish get selective. "Dano" even managed to catch his first Walleye thru all the shad clouds on Pueblo.

The photo below is "J" with one of the decent sized LMB's caught using tube jigs from a small pond nearby today. I'll post the pic of mine once "J" sends it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well put Ninja. Fishing with new friends and old techniques or fishing with old friends and new techniques is always priceless. Guess we all, to some degree, keep trying new things to increase our odds of feeling a fish on the end of our line and somehow in the process end up making things more complicated and accumulate more “stuff”. Some lures and rigs I’ve tried (and still own) never caught a fish. I tend to keep some (most) of them because when my “normal” stuff doesn’t work I think for some miraculous reason these duds will all of sudden become my magic lures or rigs. Being the persistent fisherman I am I try them again (and sometimes again) just in case today is the day they will work…not. I like to dream about the fish I might catch when I go out rather than know for sure what to expect (ok I’m lying a little, ok quite a bit), that’s why I keep going and trying new stuff. I hope I never figure it all out (lying again), otherwise, what would be the point. That’s about as philosophical as I ever get on any given subject. Over time some of us (me) accumulate more than we (I) can ever use on any given outing so the thinning out you mentioned is a good (brave) thing in my opinion. I do agree with you about keeping it simple. That just makes more room for the fun part of it all. Still, I might end up buying something new tomorrow to try next week….:)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff Cosfisher. You sound like a wise person....

Is that called keeping the "fishing hole" a secret?
No "Hotspotting" allowed.

Nice Ninja!
Pleasantly surprised for sure. Never thought there would be one fish that size in those places; let alone two. Might even try again real soon. Rumor has it there are some 6lbs+. Colorado waters never seem to fall short on surprises.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

More tube jig action mid-day today. Caught and released six bass this size and LDR'd two 3-4 lbers during their aerial displays. Had another pike chomp off a tube before I got to see it. Nano 10lb with 3" tubes all day again. Gotta love the Nano's smooth casting and light sensitivity for working soft plastics.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks P-Dog.

I has it's pros and cons for sure. For what I've been doing its better than "heavier" braids and stronger than mono. I lost about 4 tube jigs that were really lodged under or in something to big to "tow" back to the bank from shore, but when I've use it in my yak or from Dano's boat its strong enough to allow you to work it free most times without losing to many lures.

The smooth long distance casting and sensitivity you will like for sure. I'm looking forward to using it on the big Arkansas bows this fall:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts