Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bouncing around this idea for a couple years to accomplish 2 goals. 1st is to get a larger worm container into operation so I have less time committed to refilling it. And second is to get it out of my refrigerator.

Tell me what you think of this scenario. I am planning on digging a hole about 2 feet deep and lining the walls with 2" foam that I already have. Place a decent sized styrofoam container in the bottom and covering the whole shebang with a foam lid. I'm thinking it would remain cool enough for the worms to survive and be easy to get to when I need it. I'd rather not buy a second frig just for this since the electric bill is high enough as is. The spot I'm thinking of shouldn't accumulate water so I'm not worried about having it fill with water.

Can anyone shoot holes in this? My biggest concern is it being cool enough but I figure the worms are already living there "in the wild" so to speak.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would think your idea would work. I have kept them in a bait box with worm bedding for weeks. I just make sure to keep them damp and in the shade.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A bit more care is necessary once the daytime temps go up. It works fine to keep them in a shady corner of the basement in the summer if the refrigerator is not an option.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
What you can do too is build a plywood box ans fill it with shredded newspaper and some dirt and maybe some compost. Keep damp and fill it up with worms. I have bought the crawlers from Cabellas and they just keep makin more. Unfortunatly the new house is all finished so the wife nixed the crawlers at this house.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Looking online they say that the canadian nightcrawlers should be stored at the 38 to 42 degree mark but there is also other options out there such as Louisiana crawlers that can live in the 60 to 80 degree range.

Now that my wife and kids have 5 turtles in our outdoor cage I'm often competing for my fishing bait. Nothing worse than grabbing the container out of the fridge in the AM and finding about 4 worms.

This year I decided I need to start buying in bulk, hence the need to upgrade the "storage system". Buying them by the pound instead of the dozen.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Personally I have the minature fridge. My styrofoam box fits in.

Here is what I do. I don't buy my crawlers I use that money for the electricity and go get your own crawlers. My son and I can get around 500 crawlers in about an hour. I go through alot of crawlers in a year so if I was to buy them it would cost me alot. This actually saves me quite a bit every year. The crawlers I get are pretty good size as well.

My 2cents worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts