Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather have a challenge!!!!! I would much rather sit at Bear Creek today and barely catch anything that catch dink and I mean dink perch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
BBoat16 said:
I'd rather have a challenge!!!!! I would much rather sit at Bear Creek today and barely catch anything that catch dink and I mean dink perch.
dude I will catch more and bigger fish this year, than most peole do in five years of fishing!!!!!!
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
My thoughts are they are panfish - they are called panfish for a reason. I've kept my share of small bluegill, crappie, perch, filleted them up and fried them in the pan. They are VERY tasty and they have never gone to waste.

I usually won't keep everything I catch when it comes to panfish, but if I'm on top of a school, I'll keep anything that is worth filleting (I've filleted fish as small as 6 or 7 inches without a problem).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,193 Posts
denverbassman said:
BBoat16 said:
I'd rather have a challenge!!!!! I would much rather sit at Bear Creek today and barely catch anything that catch dink and I mean dink perch.
dude I will catch more and bigger fish this year, than most peole do in five years of fishing!!!!!!
Have you started working yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,631 Posts
I don't think DBM has started working yet.

I caught several tiny bluegills from DBM's spot. They are a beatch to scale but they are certainly good eats. Didn't fillet them, just fried them up once cleaned and scaled. Wish I could get into some bigger ones tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
dloring said:
I don't think DBM has started working yet.

I caught several tiny bluegills from DBM's spot. They are a beatch to scale but they are certainly good eats. Didn't fillet them, just fried them up once cleaned and scaled. Wish I could get into some bigger ones tho.
yep scaling them little buggers is a pain, but they are tasty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
If you are going to eat them, then who cares?

If we are really talking only about panfish, they breed like rabbits and can quickly take over places, stunting their own growth in the process, competing with other fish for food, etc.

If all you are catching is real small fish from a place, might help to thin the herd a tiny bit, especially places where people don't fish much or don't keep much out of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
FishnPhil said:
If you are going to eat them, then who cares?

If we are really talking only about panfish, they breed like rabbits and can quickly take over places, stunting their own growth in the process, competing with other fish for food, etc.

If all you are catching is real small fish from a place, might help to thin the herd a tiny bit, especially places where people don't fish much or don't keep much out of.
like dragonfly @ pella that pond is loaded with dink perch. please come catch and eat you limit often, maybe some of them will have a chance to become worthy
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Unitl the last few years, it was thought that no limit on Crappie COULD NOT HURT populations. That has been proven untrue. Fisheries that allowed "no limit" on crappies have seen a MAJOR decline in fishable populations of crappie. Most every state has gone to or is going to a limit on Crappie.

There is no infinite supply of any species of fish, this has been proven time and time again.

Selective harvest is the best PROVEN policy. Keeping everything is not healthy to the fishery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,176 Posts
I think it helps if people know the body of water they are fishing. Like LT mentioned, keeping every crappie you catch may be detrimental to the fishery. An example is Brush Hollow...I see people keeping six to eight inch crappie in a lake that I know will produce 10 to 13 inchers...It would be nice if they kept them over ten inches, within limits, and released the smaller fish.

Aurora...Aurora can grow large perch. It's probably best to restrict the number of smaller perch you catch within reason. Whereas Boyd seems to be full of smaller perch with the larger perch being few and far between...It probably could use some thinning. If you're never catching a larger perch and every perch is stunted. I would say keep some smaller perch and thin out the school.

A simple google search would show that many lakes contain stunted perch and over time, people don't fish those lakes or keep any fish at all resulting in a fishery that has to be chemically irradicated and re-stocked.

So, as mentioned before...Selective harvest based upon the fishery is probably the best way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Exactly guys, it's very helpful to know something about the fisherie that you are fishing, or at least pay attention to what you are catching to start to learn about it.

Nothing like a guy who knows what everyone should do with every fish in every body of water, even ones they don't know exist. ::) ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
You know, the same rule applies to panfish as it does to bigger game fish: Removing the big fish is not necessarily a good thing.

I still debate myself over this subject. God knows I love a good perch fry and me, my brother and my dad have had more than our share of 150 plus perch days on Lake Michigan in the good old days. Now those days are gone. Could taking all the jumbos have something to do with it? Some experts say yes.

I think moderation is the key here. If you catch a few jumbos, send a few back and keep a few.

Big crappies are pretty rare in this state and keeping the monsters doesnt necessarily help that. Something to ponder for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Last year went to a local lake & had the ranger put me right on a perch school. My lack of skills and bad timing kept me from catching all but one fish and that was caught right before it was time to leave. So the 10" perch I caught went right back in the water. He told me to please keep any perch I could find just because the perch population was over whelming. How ever he also told me that I might get into a school of crappie & if I could release those that would be great because those we having a hard time becoming established in the lake. The crappie we caught went right back in as well. So I think it greatly depends on the species & the lake. Heck ask a ranger (if there is one) politely it worked for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,399 Posts
I normally release panfish cause I dont eat them... but I tell you what I caught about 20 or so 4.5-5 inch perch today and I would of traded all that action for 2 10 inchers in a heart beat, and 10 inch perch arent even big perch. If you are going to clean the fish and eat it and you can get meat off a 5 inch perch keep them, who cares.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top