Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone just getting started in fly fishing, I wondering how you keep track of all the spots you have fished? Or is there enough change in where the fish are from year to year that it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ipod full of dates times temps, water temps, sunny etc, boat shore, lures. and a backup hardcopy in a small black book eventually

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Really funny that you post this now... I was actually doing a new log mockup for a Spreadsheet I'll be making tomorrow. Here's the mockup:

Basically most of it is self explanatory... Under "Observations" we will be putting stuff like

-What worked vs. what didn't and why
-What could we have tried that we didn't try
-What signs did we read that led us to fish
-Did we learn anything

Etc...

We will have a log entry for every trip from now on. I started doing this in Colorado but did not stay consistent with it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice start on a sheet, are you going to include space for Lat & Long? Fishing offshore we would make it on a chart plotter, then at the end of the year it went into spread sheet.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Location will include Lake/River name, rough area we fished... Then in "Observations" we can be more specific... "The boulder on the north shore near the dirt road stacked up with bass" or something of the like.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Derp. ****... I smoked a metric fuckton of weed off of coke cans back in the day, and I can hardly remember my name, but I don't need a damned spreadsheet to figger out where to fish.

If I get too gripped about what exact week I went to a specific fishery and had success, I look at the date that I uploaded the pics to photobucket. Whenever I try to pin down a bite that specifically, I am usually really dissapointed.

Embarce the tech that you have at your fingertips, man. jeebus.

The only modern application of pen and paper, or a printout for that matter, is poetry. It is best to have a singular, physical, instance of poetry. That way it is easy to burn when you sober up.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Derp. ****... I smoked a metric fuckton of weed off of coke cans back in the day, and I can hardly remember my name, but I don't need a damned spreadsheet to figger out where to fish.

If I get too gripped about what exact week I went to a specific fishery and had success, I look at the date that I uploaded the pics to photobucket. Whenever I try to pin down a bite that specifically, I am usually really dissapointed.

Embarce the tech that you have at your fingertips, man. jeebus.

The only modern application of pen and paper, or a printout for that matter, is poetry. It is best to have a singular, physical, instance of poetry. That way it is easy to burn when you sober up.
Lots of good points there! LMAO. I agree about the log, its more about seasonal pattern and maybe colors on specific bodies water, than a day to day list. ****, go fish, that's whats fun, and trying to figure out the pattern. Lack of short term memory can be a good thing.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
The only modern application of pen and paper, or a printout for that matter, is poetry.

It will BE poetry when it's all pretty and printed on parchment cardstock, hand-written for future generations of my f***ed up genetic offspring... We'll spiral bind each year once the calendar year is done, store the binder, and start a new one.

It'll be printed... I'm not photocopying my chicken scratch there. ;)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Part of the enjoyment for me is using my mind and recalling the shore and water depth.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Its a good idea I wished I would of...you fish a 100 times a year...over a decade thats a 1000 fishing trips...a log is a good idea...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I've never had a log. But then again, I only fish about ten or twelve lakes in Colorado. And you could probably narrow that down to four or five that I fish consistently.. I think the secret to most peoples success is to know what time of the year to fish for a particular species. Hit it hard during those prime times and then move on to the next lake/species..rather than trying to force it.

When I see the first miller moths in Monument..the crappie are hitting out east...when the pollen comes off the ponderosas..the cats are spawning..when the scrub oak buds out the chironomid bite is on at spinney..I know that at ice out in January..early February cats are in one to two foot of water feeding on winter killed shad out east...but only for two weeks..etc

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I don’t do logs as much as I should... I do save all pictures I take and organize them by State/Lake Name/Date so I can easily pull up the folder for a certain lake to see if and when I have fished there in the past.... I occasionally will do a little write up in notepad and save it in the folder with the pictures, But should be doing the write up WAY more than I do!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
CFS would be the only thing worth logging. Then again, it's pretty easy to remember CFS ranges for rivers.

You can log what day xyz occurred at what lake, but with our vast ranges of temperatures from year to year it won't do you much good. Cues in nature, like Hobie suggested, are going to be a better bet.

Me? My taint tingles when the bite switches from wiper to pike. No notes necessary.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I started doing logs in late 90's, its fun to look back at them but sometimes very sad, I have one from 98 at Blue Mesa were I logged 14 lakers in one day 25, 26, 30, 31.5, [email protected], 33, [email protected], 37, 2 @38, 39, caught out of a 12' row boat with a electric trolling moter and and old clamp on Fishin buddy fish finder. Nowadys, ill hit the same spots with 150 horse 17' boat, GPS, I-pilot and can't even come close to a day like that. The Lake trout killing operations sure have had a significant impact on the laker fishing. Funny thing is, the mid to late 90's were some of the best kokanne years. Just Sayin.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
I started doing logs in late 90's, its fun to look back at them but sometimes very sad, I have one from 98 at Blue Mesa were I logged 14 lakers in one day 25, 26, 30, 31.5, [email protected], 33, [email protected], 37, 2 @38, 39, caught out of a 12' row boat with a electric trolling moter and and old clamp on Fishin buddy fish finder. Nowadys, ill hit the same spots with 150 horse 17' boat, GPS, I-pilot and can't even come close to a day like that. The Lake trout killing operations sure have had a significant impact on the laker fishing. Funny thing is, the mid to late 90's were some of the best kokanne years. Just Sayin.

Cant have big fish without an abundance of oily forage or any forage for that matter! MRT's are just as important as the upper end predators...between the forage and paying for most of the entire program...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts